Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / "kitchen" upgrade
mj1angier
# Posted: 6 Oct 2021 07:10 - Edited by: mj1angier

I do 95% of the cooking at cabin outside. We are in NC so most of the time it's never too cold to be outside and when it's hot, you don't want the heat inside. So our kitchen is on the covered porch. This past weekend I upgraded it to have refrigeration!

https://www.amazon.com/Alpicool-Portable-Refrigerator-Vehicle-Freezer/dp/B073WTNRJ2?r ef_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

It's great for the food items. You can set to freeze or just to cool. I have a F150 with built in generator so I just plug it in for the trip to cabin then transfer it to back porch. Drinks we are still keeping in a cooler.
kitchen_up.jpg
kitchen_up.jpg

mj1angier
# Posted: 6 Oct 2021 07:15

Ok I can't get the photo to post right.

Steve_S
# Posted: 6 Oct 2021 07:35

I've owned and lived in many places, some built prior to the turn of the 19th Century. Three of those had actual "Summer Kitchens" built onto them as more or less enclosed / openable porch-rooms. So many good "Common Sense" things that were forgotten over the past Century that people need to rediscover.

But then again, those were the days when Transom Windows between rooms and cross flow vents where considered normal and sensible.

paulz
# Posted: 6 Oct 2021 07:53

Had the same one in our cabin for about a year now, running on 12v off the solar batteries. I keep it at 40F, gets about 5 days a week usage. Quiet as a mouse, doesn't use much juice. Works perfectly, hope it continues for a few years.

Steve S, good to see you posting.
20211006_044626.jpg
20211006_044626.jpg

Brettny
# Posted: 7 Oct 2021 06:00

My parents have a version of this they tried to use on a sailboat with 300w of solar and it turns out it used alot more power than expected.

paulz
# Posted: 8 Oct 2021 10:33

My ammeter goes down down about one amp (12v) when it's running.

mj1angier
# Posted: 9 Oct 2021 08:37 - Edited by: mj1angier

It does use some power but not too bad for a long weekend. After I added the other 100 w 24v lith battery we have a good depth. The 600 watts of solar can bring it up good with sunny days. But I also have a genny on site if needed. I am sure in summer the genny will be running if this and ac are running.

I was thinking about adding some foam panels around it when its on the porch for extra insulation, with a cut out for the fan

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.