Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / What's Your Favorite Part of the Build?
spencerin
# Posted: 16 Oct 2021 19:26 - Edited by: spencerin

I think what I enjoy most about this forum is seeing other people's cabins being built. I like seeing foundations, specifically pier, being built the most. Not sure why exactly, but I think it's because it's the first tangible step in bringing the dream into reality, and because it sets the direction of the rest of the build.

What's your favorite part of the build?

gcrank1
# Posted: 16 Oct 2021 22:38

Funny thing......
I started my 1st real cabin in 1983, pretty much finished it up in '84, then 'puttered' on it and enjoyed the be'in there for a few decades.
Then lost it in the folks estate sale 2018?
Been on this one since Aug1, 2020, built poorly by the prev owner Aug 2012. Did the property clean up and fixin stuff in 2020 and been functional and bettering things this past year. My heavy drive has reduced to more putterin again but it is a speed that lets me enjoy the projects and take time for walking the property, sittin the deck lookin up the meadow, etc.
So, your question gives me pause.....why? Ive been thinking on it since seeing it today and Im still not sure. Some times its the thinking/planning/working out the 'next thing' on the list, others its the taking a view of the 'place' and having a satisfaction and pleasure that we have been so blessed.

Steve_S
# Posted: 17 Oct 2021 00:06

Good Question, hard to answer really.
Clearing the land, or getting the build area ready...
Having the floor poured (slab foundation) that was big.
Getting the walls up.. But the roof on was Huge. Somethin to be said for being dried in !

The first firing of the wood stove ! that was a watershed moment too... Getting all the Live Edge cedar siding on and seeing that come out of the minds eye to fruition... yep, another damned gobsmacking watershed moment...

Ok, not fair... sorry.
Best Part really... Living in it, enjoying it and knowing I did it with my own two hands, a DeWalt Cordless Kit, a Genset with tablesaw & compressor out in the middle of nowhere. ALL of which would not have been possible without a most incredible & supportive partner, she's been a blessing... well minus the trimming of two of my finger with a circ saw... but that's a story of it's own lol...

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 17 Oct 2021 08:01

The learning process. To learn anything fresh and new to me, especially how to build something inhabitable as well as or better than the “Pros” makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Tim_Ohio

Brettny
# Posted: 17 Oct 2021 08:09

I like alot of the process. So far we have only completed the stump removal process. I still have a few trees to remove. But I have built many buildings and i enjoy framing the most. It goes very quick and you see a big difference at the end of the day.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 17 Oct 2021 10:34

Firing up the wood stove. Since it's remote the ability to stay at the cabin over night was great. And probably more a safety thing than anything.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Oct 2021 10:42

Milestones for me was the dried in shell. Then trimming out interior was a blast, this is all woodwork around doors, windows, wall plates for electrical, stone work behind wood stove, bunks, kitchen was a real milestone and of course, installing the wood stove.

Then final paint in my favorite color Behr Premium Ultra in satin finish, N150-7 Chocolate Therapy, with the lighter green roof, the contrast is second to none IMHO.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.