Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Pellet stove installation questions
. 1 . 2 . >>
WILL1E
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 11:25

I would like to order my pellet stove to hopefully avoid impact of the current shipping situation going on in our country. My goal all along was to vent out the wall to avoid having to go on the roof.

I'm planning on going with the ComfortBilt HP50 series pellet stove. It's going to be installed at a 45deg angle in the bottom right corner in the floor plan i have attached. I am going to put the vent and fresh air intake on the gable wall. I have all the info from the manufacturer about how far off the ground, from the window, etc. for the fresh air intake and exhaust vent. Once the exhaust pipe exits the cabin, it will go about 3' vertical and then exit whatever exhaust tip i go with.

1. Cabin only has housewrap on it. They said i should put a temp piece of siding of some sorts for where the thimble comes through the wall. They said a 12" till with the thimble in the middle of it. They said as long as the exhaust pipe is 1" off the wall going vertical and then the exhaust tip terminates 12" from the wall i should be fine. Any thoughts about that from ya'll?

2. Inside isn't finished or insulated at all. Should i put something like cement board behind the stove on the walls for temporary? Their install directions don't say anything about the walls having to be non-combustable, it just tells me how far away it should be from combustable walls.

3. I don't want to spend $500 on a corner hearth pad from them. Right now i just have the bare subfloor and i don't know what our floor is going to be yet. What's a good low budget hearth pad that would get me by for now, that i could either build upon or easily change later on? Their pads are 1.125" thick, but i'm not sure what it has to be...i only know how big it needs to be footprint wise.

4. I don't like the exhaust tip that ComfortBilt sells. So i'm leaning towards this one. Anyone have any experience with this one or suggest another?
16x32floorplan.JPG
16x32floorplan.JPG

Nate R
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 11:35

2: As long as you're maintaining the clearance from combustible walls, I'd just put the insulation in for now and move forward......

3: Manual just says ember protection only, so no R value needed to be met on the floor.... So a piece of sheet steel on the floor is something I've heard talked about as cheap/easy on hearth.com. You could tile it, but that gets trickier to get done in these temps. Looks like Fleet Farm sells "stove boards" which are like 32x42 boards for $90.

-Nate

WILL1E
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 12:51

Quoting: Nate R
2: As long as you're maintaining the clearance from combustible walls, I'd just put the insulation in for now and move forward......

Wasn't plan on insulating quite yet, just looking to get heat in the cabin to take the chill out while i'm working in there hopefully over winter.

Never thought to look at Fleet!!

gcrank1
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 13:19 - Edited by: gcrank1

Sheet metal (could be used stuff, doesnt have to be pretty topped with some 12"-18" tile squares from the Restore (Habitat for Humanity resale shop) with a border strip to hold all in place should do.
Fwiw, I can never be good with a stack out through a wall after my last experience (last year) with ever changing draft.

WILL1E
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 13:57

Found this, think i'll go with this and then notch one end so it can fit in the corner.
pad.JPG
pad.JPG

ICC
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 14:11

I don't like regular wood burning chimneys out a wall. But all pellet stoves I have seen use a fan assisted burn where a blower pushes the air into and out of the burn chamber and out the vent. Very much like many gas fueled wall heaters and RV furnaces.

I would just follow all the manufacturers instructions to the "t".

travellerw
# Posted: 25 Oct 2021 20:39

We just used concrete board on the floor as a temporary hearth. If you use multiple pieces its best to thinset the 2 pieces together with fibre tape. It will keep any errant the embers from falling between. However, its not such a big deal with a pellet stove. Its cheap and easy to get from any big box store.

There are a ton of ways to accomplish this though. Its just temporary... BUT you need to make sure its safe.

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Oct 2021 06:02

If the stove manufacturer dosnt state a clearance to combustible there isnt one and no need for one. Generaly only part of the sides and upper front get warm with a pellet stove. No need for a hearth and no need for wall protection.

I had a pellet stove one winter. I always felt cold, the thing broke down constantly, was noisy and actualy used quite a bit of power.

WILL1E
# Posted: 26 Oct 2021 07:58

The manual does state that it needs to be on a non-combustible floor such as a hearth pad, but it does not spec a thickness, R value or any specific materials other than non-combustible. It does call out how far the non-combustible floor/pad needs to extend from each side of the unit.

The manual also does call out how far the unit needs to be from combustible surfaces such as the walls, however it does not state anything about those surfaces needing any special protection assuming those distances are adhered to.

Nate R
# Posted: 26 Oct 2021 08:17

Yeah, as long as you meet those clearances, you could put whatever you want on the walls....which is why it doesn't tell you anything else.

One thing i've learned from hearth.com about pellet stoves is that you must keep your manual, and that they need cleaning and maintenance, occasionally. But if you do that, they seem to be pretty good!

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 26 Oct 2021 09:03

We've used a pellet stove for over 10 years n l love it. They don't use much power. Actually quite a few folks have converted over as they are inexpensive comparatively. I would recommend to anyone. Yes the fan for the heat blower n exhaust runs constantly. I asked my family about the noise n they said they never noticed it.
I have used a hearth pad under ours. You do not need to fireproof the walls. I would put a voltage surge protector on it.
Good luck how's the roof

jsahara24
# Posted: 26 Oct 2021 09:09

Some pellet stoves are designed to be zero clearance, with no distance to combustibles.

Considering mine is my main heat source I wanted to get the best option I could find, and I decided on the Harman Accentra. It is not a zero clearance unit, but I bought a zero clearance box to install it in which made the install much easier!

Good luck, I just did a full cleaning on mine and it was definitely dirty....But a pretty simple 30 minute process.

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Oct 2021 09:49

Quoting: WILL1E
The manual does state that it needs to be on a non-combustible floor such as a hearth pad, but it does not spec a thickness, R value or any specific materials other than non-combustible. It does call out how far the non-combustible floor/pad needs to extend from each side of the uni

Then it does need to be on a non combustible pad if they spec the size of pad.

WILL1E
# Posted: 26 Oct 2021 10:47

For $80 i'll just buy that pad and notch it to fit the corner install.

gcrank1
# Posted: 26 Oct 2021 19:17

Think Ive seen corner pads ready to go.
Check online

WILL1E
# Posted: 27 Oct 2021 08:12

Quoting: gcrank1
Think Ive seen corner pads ready to go.
Check online

$$$$ I like the looks of the one i found, price is right and i've got the tools to modify, so i'll save the cash for something else

WILL1E
# Posted: 10 Nov 2021 08:24 - Edited by: WILL1E

Just an update on this.

My stove arrived within a week of ordering it along with all the piping. Since i need to have the exhaust 7' off the ground on the outside per installation requirements, i decided i am going to run a 5' section of pipe vertically on the INSIDE of the cabin and then go straight out the wall thimble and terminate outside as required. Figured this would look better inside than outside and plus i should get some residual heat off that exhaust pipe before it goes outside.

I bought a fresh air intake kit so that i pull outside air for best performance per their manual. Haven't decided if i'll go straight outside the wall, or their manual says i can go through the floor and pull fresh air from below the cabin since the cabin is elevated. Any thoughts here?

Two questions on wall thimbles. I bought this unit. Does the pipe going through the thimble just sit on the through holes on either side of the thimble....no gasket or sealing around it? I was thinking of using wool insulation around the pellet stove because of it's temp rating and flame resistance.

gcrank1
# Posted: 10 Nov 2021 09:32

If you are sure about where the stove is going to 'reside' Id go through the floor for air.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 10 Nov 2021 09:56

I would put the vertical piece outside, for ease of cleaning. You can take it apart outside without ash in your cabin. And you can move your stove closer to the wall. It will have ash like flour, very fine. I screwed the first section to the stove so I could take it apart outside n not worry about it coming undone in our home. Use short screws as it is double wall pipe. And it just seems better to have as much of the exhaust outside as possible.
When I clean mine I removed all the pipe except the piece going through the wall. Basicly everything outside. Then I can put the hose from the ash vacuum into the pipe from outside and clean the exhaust fan better. I will even pack a rag around the vacuum hose to plug it for better suck. And turn the stove on for a minute so the fan blows. Cleans it well. A brush on the pipe. Air hose on the end piece.
On ours, bought it at HD, the exhaust goes straight out the back, the fresh air intake is about straight back also. The fresh air intake is for make up air in your firebox and doesn't enter your cabin. So it can't pull smoke into your home.
Good luck n stay warm

WILL1E
# Posted: 11 Nov 2021 11:55

Can't remember if i asked this in another thread or not. Can i use the pellet stove when my walls and roof aren't insulated yet without causing any weird issues like condensation or anything like that? I realize it won't be efficient at all and i'll likely burn through pellets like crazy but it's gotta take some chill out of the air i would think.

snobdds
# Posted: 11 Nov 2021 13:13

No issues.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 11 Nov 2021 13:13

Fire that baby up man !

WILL1E
# Posted: 11 Nov 2021 13:32

Awesome! Going to try and get it installed this weekend and have the first firing next weekend for deer season opener!

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Nov 2021 13:59

Remember to not sleep on the floor! Heat rises, get a fan in there to point up'ish and circulate the heat throughout the room, you'll be lots warmer.
On my 1st build, enclosed about now in '83, I used plywood on my sawhorses as my bed surface to get me off the cold floor. Just had to remember the big step down.......

WILL1E
# Posted: 15 Nov 2021 09:51

Got the stove installed on Saturday! Glad I was able to convince my son to go up finally as i would not have been able to get that tank of a stove into the cabin without him!

Didn't get to fire it up as i wanted the silicone in the pipe fittings to set up. So hopefully this Friday will be the maiden lighting of the stove!

gcrank1
# Posted: 15 Nov 2021 10:18

Tidy little unit
We went to our cabin last Fri aft to be there when the first 'trace snowfall' of the year came in. It was dead cold inside at 36*F, fired up the 30K BTU LP unit and went for a slow walk around the perimeter trail of our 9+ ac. By the time we got back it was 62* and actually feeling fair cozy, and still climbing. Sooo nice to have a cabin! The snow came in squalls, did turn the ground white, but melted off by the time we went home before dark. Man, does it ever get dark soon now since the time change.....

WILL1E
# Posted: 29 Nov 2021 12:57

Is there a point at which i am risking moisture forming on the inside of the cabin as i try to continue construction through the winter?

The roof is metal and vented at the ridge and soffit. However there is no insulation in the cabin yet aside from behind the pellet stove and I do not have the foam trays built to get that soffit air to the peak yet. So i'm just wondering if there is a point that i need to stop using the pellet stove while i'm there until i get to another point of construction.

snobdds
# Posted: 29 Nov 2021 13:10

what makes you think you will have condensation issues?

You vented it, we all told you not to worry and fire it up. I don't know where this new fear is coming from?

Nate R
# Posted: 29 Nov 2021 13:12

Nah, you're fine. There's so much airflow at this point it won't likely matter. Even if it did, you'd just need to make sure you give things time to dry out before sealing them up.

WILL1E
# Posted: 29 Nov 2021 13:31

Quoting: snobdds
what makes you think you will have condensation issues?

Nothing specifically. Just wondering as it becomes colder outside and I heat the inside if i'm at risk of it becoming an issue. Like once i start building those foam trays in the ceilings if I should not use the stove anymore until the rest of the insulation was in the roof and the vapor barrier was up. Stuff like that.

Quoting: Nate R
Even if it did, you'd just need to make sure you give things time to dry out before sealing them up

What or rather where are the areas i should watch to know if i need to let it dry out?

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.