Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Formica install
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 May 2011 17:37

Ok, headed over Saturday to install all my formica on my counters. Counters are already built. I have the contact cement (spray and can), rollers, formica shears, 3 fluted flush trim bit, router and roto zip (for the trim bit, roto zip has thebase), 2 4X8 sheets of formica and a edge file along with lots of wooden dowels. I have been studing this to no end. Any tips or pointers or gotchas I need to look out for? This is my first time doing formica. I'm sure it will go well and look great. Just getting some last minutes "tips" if anyone has any.

I will post pictures of the finished product.

bobrok
# Posted: 18 May 2011 18:09

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Just getting some last minutes "tips" if anyone has any.

t-m-t,
Be absolutely certain that you are using the correct cement to bind your laminate to the substrate. We had a manufacturer's defect problem with our countertops delaminating and bubbling in the centers, etc. quite some time ago. Got nowhere with the mfg.
This goes back 20-some years to our kitchen remodel, but I still have a sour taste in my mouth over it.
I don't think what we have was called formica, but nevertheless it was similar and we had a problem.
Just my two cents.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 May 2011 17:40

Thanks Bob. It went real well. I'm about 98% done now. Just a sink and floor covering. Here is a picture of the formica. I did lots of research, spoke to my cabinet designer and he walked me right through it.
formica_001.jpg
formica_001.jpg

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 May 2011 20:17

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Here is a picture of the formica.

nice looking job----great place to cook some meals for years.

bobrok
# Posted: 29 May 2011 18:52

Good looking job, t-m-t. Glad it worked well for you!

neb
# Posted: 30 May 2011 01:03

Looks good better then my real home. Nice work.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.