Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Pier foundation question
fishinglineman
# Posted: 18 May 2011 20:13

Hi everyone,
Im a newbie here seems like a great site. I am getting ready to build a camp on a piece of land in Maine. The camp is going to be 24x28 and im going to put it on post foundation because of the remote location, no concrete for 60 miles. So heres my question... with the frost level at about 3 feet what is the best way to set the posts? Should I put the posts into the ground below the frost level or, should I put the post on concrete pads on a gravel or crushed stone pad? I am going to put down foam insulation about 6" uner grade to try to prevent the frost from getting under the posts and heaving. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Just
# Posted: 18 May 2011 22:38

dig a 4 ft. hole 18in.in diameter pore at least 8 in cement in each hole smooth off bottom . place post in hole back fill after the posts are in and square .. back fill with fine gravel or soil"""" never!!!!! with cement"""

dvgchef
# Posted: 18 May 2011 23:11

Sounds like a nice camp idea! However, I agree with Just. There is no way to get around this in New England, unless you don't mind lots of shifting.

Quoting: fishinglineman
should I put the post on concrete pads on a gravel or crushed stone pad?

I had bad luck with gravel pads in upstate NY. Not sure we are talking the same idea, but I laid in abut 12 inches of gravel in a 2 foot square, with cement blocks over that. The first winter was fine, the second winter looked like a cyclone hit it. Fortunately I had only built a 12 by12 tent platform.

When I do it again, I will think of a way to collect water and lug in the cement - about a half mile from the car.

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 May 2011 23:43

Deep piers on a poured concrete, steel reinforced footing is the start. The problem with many pier foundations is that they are not deep enough to provide proper lateral resistance to wind loads. The next thing to consider is bracing the piers in both the long direction, parallel to the beams/girders that sit on the piers and in the lateral direction, across the width. This is often the more critical direction because of the longer wall that acts on it. It is also often the more neglected bracing.

Just
# Posted: 19 May 2011 08:44

my above recomendations are code in Ontario Canada . The cement is usualy 2 bags of dry concrete mix placed in each hole and tamped flat with a 4x4 then left to harden on its own.I have never seen one fail .

Gary O
# Posted: 19 May 2011 09:28

Quoting: Just
my above recomendations

Hey Just, is this what you recommend?
I'm likin' it...but not sure about my soil situation.
Lotsa pumice (sandy) here and quite dry....but down to minus F° in winter.....
pier posts
pier posts

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 May 2011 10:18

code in Ontario Canad

I'd like to see that reference simply because the IRC (code in most of the states) actually totally avoids any mention of pier foundations because their success is very dependent upon soil conditions that are unpredictable at best. I am currently working with a structural engineer and the more I see, the more I see ways of things going wrong. I have seen three cases of piers shifting out of vertical alignment. One case only took a year.

Just
# Posted: 19 May 2011 13:33

Gary O

the code has recently been changed to require 6x6 post up from 4x6 and for habitation they must be on 4ft centers =don being don is correct depending on the above ground hight you will need lots of bracing or in the case of a pole building the extention of the poles up into the building,,

Gary O
# Posted: 19 May 2011 14:52

the code has recently been changed to require 6x6 post up from 4x6 and for habitation they must be on 4ft centers =don being don is correct depending on the above ground hight you will need lots of bracing

All good info

And, yeah, MtnDon is a font, and has a literal mountain of info and data at his fingertips, of which I plan to tap before I twitch a finger towards any thing related to foundations.
Too much grunt work to create FUBARs, and darn near unfixable.

My aim is to avoid heavy equipment, or bustin' up the ground too much. Not afraid of a bit more back work (yet)....come to think about it, it really shouldn't take cabi that long...........

fishinglineman
# Posted: 19 May 2011 16:32

Wow thanks so much for your imput, im sure you'll be hearing from me again as I begin my project! Thanks again

Gary O
# Posted: 19 May 2011 16:48

Hey, fishinglineman, ain't these guys great!

Welcome to the forum, and keep us posted

Gary O'

fishinglineman
# Posted: 19 May 2011 19:00

Yah these guy are great! This is my first project of this size and alittle overwhelming, there will be more questions from m I'm sure!

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 May 2011 22:02

Quoting: Gary O
which I plan to tap before I twitch a finger towards any thing related to foundations.

I'll be glad to help all I can. Be aware that summer break starts Saturday for me and I will be more gone than in town and where I will be going I've no internet connection, so I won't be able to harass everyone as much.

Gary O
# Posted: 19 May 2011 22:39 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: MtnDon
and I will be more gone than in town and where I will be going I've no internet connection

Take yer camera
We can all re-read your posts in the meantime.

MTD concordance:

Piers

Don 3:16
Thou shalt not have piers without braces.
Well, you can, but thy house will falleth over.

The Revelation of Don
1:1 thru 20:20
See-eth? I toldeth you so

Don, you have fun and take care, man.
Keep yer powder dry.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.