Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Recycling
travellerw
# Posted: 24 Nov 2021 19:02

So I was inspired to post this after GCs battery post.

I'm wondering how many recycled items you have in your cabin?

We just found a used shower that was about to be tossed. The owner said it was used in her brothers house and he recently passed away. In his later stages he did no cleaning and the shower was filthy. She was giving it away for parts as she thought there was no way to clean it (hard water stains, rust from well water, ect). I saw one picture of it and told my wife to go get it. Its a real fiberglass/gelcoat one piece shower with rain glass surround. Not that glue to the walls acrylic stuff.

Anyway.. About $3 in muriatic acid and an hour of work and it looks like the day it shipped from the factory. I may do a quick buff of the fiberglass shell, but it really doesn't need it. That saved me about $600cdn and its a much better product.

So.. What have you recycled?

(a small ps cause I think its funny. Whoever originally installed it put the side glass in backwards. I imagine the original owner hated that shower as bumpy side of the glass was facing in. It would have been SOO hard to clean).

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Nov 2021 19:16 - Edited by: gcrank1

It might be easier for me to think of what ISNT previously appreciated at our cabin place.....
No kidding, very little of what we have was bought new by us.

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Nov 2021 19:41

Recycled meaning got got free? If so..
Both grills, plenty of logs I ran through the sawmill to make the generator shed, the lumber and t111 for the outhouse. Along with the insulation and interior panneling of the outhouse.

I think I have more at home actualy. Lol

ICC
# Posted: 24 Nov 2021 21:06 - Edited by: ICC

I think of recycling to be turning an object into raw materials to be used to manufacture a new item of any kind. Old ragged clothing can be recycled and the fibers used to make cloth for something new.

Extending the life of something is reusing. Clothing, not wanted or needed by one person, can be can be reused by someone else. The shower was reused.

And then there is repurposing. Cutting old t-shirts into small squares to be used as muzzleloader patches would be repurposing. Or to be used as cleaning cloths.

Some will say it is just semantics. I say we have all these descriptive words, let's use them or we'll forget how.

travellerw
# Posted: 24 Nov 2021 21:25

To me recycling is just reusing anything to keep if from trash/landfill. I work for a recycling organization and that is our definition.

Anyway.. I'm just interested in what people have saved from trash/landfill/rotting in the bush. I don't care if you got it for free, or paid something for it.

Hell, I just purchased some Foamular 400 insulation that was "unused" but sat at a construction site for like 10 years. I paid about 1/2 price, dude says it was destined for the trash and he picked it out. I call that recycling!

darz5150
# Posted: 24 Nov 2021 22:29

https://www.small-cabin.com/forum/8_10215_0.html
Check out some of Paulz posts. He has lots of things he's picked up and re used/ re purposed.

darz5150
# Posted: 24 Nov 2021 22:35

https://www.small-cabin.com/forum/1_10077_0.html

paulz
# Posted: 24 Nov 2021 22:46 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: darz5150
Check out some of Paulz posts.

Lol. The once a year 'Recycle Circus'. One block of main street. Trucks lined up for 3 more blocks. As you drive through, they unload your stuff for you, and the waiting crowd sifts through and takes what they want. All free. One of the most fun days of the year. That sofa is in my loft.
re.JPG
re.JPG

gcrank1
# Posted: 25 Nov 2021 10:26

My rain barrel utility water system is All recycled materials; we just came off the 2nd season, never any cruddy water.
Black plastic pickle barrel
Overflow spout from something I tore apart
Length of 'retired' garden hose that broke in half
Old water heater drain faucet with male threads
Top is a small sat-dish I drilled a grid of holes through
On that sits a square of fish pond filter material
Covered with a piece of landscape fabric as a pre-filter
With an old grill as a top weight
The first of each month I dump in a splash of household bleach (found the jug 1/2 full at out recycle center) and stir it in a bit
Total cost -0-

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Nov 2021 14:55

Just did another of my fairly regular recycle's.
I pick up rubber bungee straps and broken tie-down straps when possible. I really like the tie down straps with some length left and a good hook. I cut & melt the frayed strap end to neaten it up and tie a tight knot in it to avoid any possible future slip of the strap no matter how Im using it.
These get used for all kings of things like 'lengthening the reach' of a too short good tie down or quick-loops' on trailer side rails. I keep a bag of them in the suv ready for rigging.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.