Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Fan size for heated air circulation ?
bluefin
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 10:42

I added a 15x22 space ( 16' ceiling ) attached to an existing 18x22 log cabin. I also added a second floor above the old space. However, since I moved my woodstove into the new space, I am looking for a way to bring heat into the old space ( i do have two doorways but they dont seem to be bringing heat in given the high ceiling in new space ). So thinking of adding a vent and a small fan behind the stove pipe ( through the new upper floor joist ) to bring warm air into old space. Any suggestions on size/CFM I should use ? On the old side, i will just add some pipe to direct into that space. thx

Brettny
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 11:21 - Edited by: Brettny

Blow cold air at the floor to the stove in the doorway. A $20 box fan works fine.

Warm air always wants to rise above cold. Move the cold air to the stove and the hot air will replace it.

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 12:00

A mid-size box fan at the coldest end of our 16 x 24 with cath ceiling does the trick nicely.
After the place has a good saturation heat Ive cut back to a little table fan, quieter and uses less energy.

bluefin
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 19:18

This is an off-grid cabin so i was thinking of more like a 6" inline, low amp fan that could draw in from warm room and blow into cold room. I think the bigger fans would have too much draw in winter when much less solar. I do have two stove fans that I will turn towards the doorways as well. thx

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 20:19

Rethink the direction and placement, the fan wont care but the air circulation will.
It was counter-intuitive for me to blow the cold toward the stove but it worked way better.

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Dec 2021 06:12

It's going to be prety hard to blow heat down from a 16' ceiling with a 6in slow speed fan. It may work if you can connect the 16' ceiling into the old space.

Blowing hot air through a fan seams to cool it for me. Move the hot air slow and the cold air fast. If that makes any sence.

bluefin
# Posted: 2 Dec 2021 11:36

thanks...the fan would be at 8' level...right behind the woodstove. Thought I'd draw it in as it rose. Thanks for all the ideas folks.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.