Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Can-less lighting...
WILL1E
# Posted: 22 Dec 2021 13:47

So i've used these ultra thin, LED can-less lights in my home. Here is one just as an example.

I'm considering these for the new cabin build, but wondering how do i wire things up for inspection. The lights usually have their own little power box, so I don't think i install a typical plastic box like i would for a normal light fixture. So do i just mount the power box from the light to the side of a rafter, properly stapling the incoming/outgoing wires and let the light hang until the drywall is up?

Steve_S
# Posted: 22 Dec 2021 15:34

It is a size made to fit into a BOX but it is only 1.1" deep so possibly even a shallow light box "Ceiling Pan or Box".

A standard 4-1/2 full sized octogonal box can be mounted to a rafter or joist but can also be mounted on a wood cross brace between joists for location. Just remember to leave 4-6" length of loose wire loop above the box.

Here there is 2 electrical inspections, one post rough-in which is done before wall cladding is up and the final once everything is up (drywall etc). The kicker for final is to enure you have enough slack in each box, the 4 finger width length outside of the box is sorta like a default rule (3-4") but no more as that's excess and some inspectors will not allow for it.

I found some LED Pancake lights to mount into the closets which are wired to simple thin octogonal boxes, as they only stand out about 3/4" from the surface it was perfect (and they were $18 a pair on sale at HomeDepot) but they are only "Natural White".

NorthRick
# Posted: 22 Dec 2021 17:37

Those lights come with a box to adjust the color of the LED light. Seems like that box needs to be mounted similar to a typical junction box.

Brettny
# Posted: 23 Dec 2021 04:53

They alreaty come with there own junction box so why add another?
I have used a cheap chinese version of thses in new construction and let me tell you..they are the bees knees. How I did it was run the wire to where I want the light and leave about 12in extra, hole saw my drywall on the ground where I wanted the light. Then put the drywall up while I pulled the wire through the hole. I finished all the drywall then hooked up the boxes and pushed them into the ceiling. I think the not to code part is I didnt secure the box. You could secure the box and use the plug in the same fashion I did with the romex.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.