Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 1w LED downlights
lburners
# Posted: 23 Dec 2021 10:07 - Edited by: lburners

I picked up a couple packs of these 1w downlights. Wondering if anyone else has used these. Hoping to put them in next summer.
My plan is to get them up around the ceiling or possibly loft over counter space etc. I plugged one into an old motorcycle battery and was pleasantly surprised with the amount of light they throw.
I think I am just going to start off with an old car or moto 12v battery and either charge it periodically or run a trickle solar panel. Im only up there so often for a night or two. Probably a dozen of these and maybe a usb charger for the cell phone.
1W3WIP67CREELED.jpg
1W3WIP67CREELED.jpg

travellerw
# Posted: 23 Dec 2021 10:24

I used some similar lights in the past. The only difference was mine were gimbals and could be pointed.

While they do throw good light for a low amount of power, I didn't get a great life out of them. They died in under 2 years of use (about 20 min nightly). Might not be a problem in a cabin you don't use often.

Mine drew about 0.09A @ 12V.. So you could have 10 of them running and still only draw about an amp.

lburners
# Posted: 23 Dec 2021 10:44

Cool. They were definitely some cheapos I bought so I will make sure to leave easy access to the wire runs in case I need to swap out a unit. Being able to focus them sounds cool. Maybe I will take a look out there to see what other options I can find.
I spend most my free time by the campfire when Im up there but that might change a little when I have a completed structure.

paulz
# Posted: 23 Dec 2021 10:56 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: travellerw
I used some similar lights in the past. The only difference was mine were gimbals and could be pointed.

Same here. I have one by my bedside I can point at a book or the day's wounds on my body.

Another one over the dining table/work bench.

Both still working..

Actually not gimbles, flexible steel shafts.

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Dec 2021 12:05

I have a '3 set' of solar bulbs that look like typical Edison bulbs but are led, have a usb plug-in and their own little solar panel. The wire leads are pretty long if you have to put the panel a fair bit away from where the bulbs are (I have mine on 3 little cup-hooks), they stay charged up even with my panel inside looking out a window. They can be charged with a usb charger too.
For use I unplug the wire, push the on button and carry it where I want (works like a flashlight that way) then hang it up (integral hook). Decent light, no muss-no fuss. Too easy to use. Ive heard they are popular in disaster areas where grid is extended down.
You can buy singles, duals or triple packs on Amazon

lburners
# Posted: 23 Dec 2021 12:13

I might end up doing something like that but starting with a more grandiose design plan.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.