Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / R40 or double r20
Princelake
# Posted: 8 Jan 2022 07:05

Hey guys I plan on putting double r20 in the ceiling of my cabin. Running a layer of r20 perpendicular to trusses and put them up in the trusses then a layer between the trusses. Right now someone is selling bags of r40 for cheap. If I just put it between the trusses do you think I’d get heat loss or cold spots where the wood trusses are?

Nate R
# Posted: 8 Jan 2022 08:10

Sure, you would. Not sure how much of a difference it will make, though... Even with 2 layers of R20, one over the bottom chord, that chord is still connected to the others and will lose SOME heat that way....

If the R40 is cheap, I'd think seriously about it.

I did R38 batts in my cabin, between the trusses. But I'm also doing R4 foam on the bottom of the trusses before drywall to help smooth out/thermally break the cold trusses.

-Nate

ICC
# Posted: 8 Jan 2022 08:45 - Edited by: ICC

Personally I like blown in loose fill cellulose. Or if one wants to use batts, place batts between rafters or trusses and blow in on top to fill the voids and gaps and cap everything.

travellerw
# Posted: 8 Jan 2022 12:21

If it was me.. I would buy the cheap R40.. I used R20 in our roof and the insulating value is amazing. I think the difference you will see by covering the trusses will be super small.

kittysmitty
# Posted: 13 Jan 2022 16:50

How are you heating the cabin? If electric, perhaps there would be a difference, heating by wood?, I wouldn't be concerned. Or go with the R40 and add some blown in. Don't need a machine for small amounts.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.