Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Frost Heaves making it tough to open doors
Upstater
# Posted: 25 May 2011 15:40

I have a shed on a concrete platform, but the doors swing out (beyond the platform) and in the winter the ground heaves up and makes it almost impossible to open. Any ideas on what I can do to the ground in front of the doors to make it easier to open? Do I dig down (how far) and put in gravel? There is grass around the shed with bluestone pads right near the entrance in front of the door.

PlicketyCat
# Posted: 28 May 2011 23:31

You could dig down below the frost line and fill with gravel or other clean fill recommended for your area. Or, if your shed is wide enough, you could replace your swinging door with a barn-style sliding door. Or replace the swing door with a roll/lift up garage-style door. Sometimes it's easier to replace the door than fix the grading & foundation.

Upstater
# Posted: 9 Jun 2011 10:24

Thank you! I don't want to change the doors as the barn is old, and I'd like to keep it original. I'll talk with the local building supply store and obtain the proper fill.

smitty
# Posted: 9 Jun 2011 15:28

Is it a wood door?

Upstater
# Posted: 11 Jun 2011 07:18

yes

smitty
# Posted: 11 Jun 2011 19:01

Silly I know.. But could be the door swelling making it hard to open? Maybe try to plane the door down a little.. Add some weather stripping for when it shrinks.. Easier than digging and pouring gravel under the concrete..

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.