Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Adding a deck
Grizzlyman
# Posted: 4 Feb 2022 13:09 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

Well it’ll be ice-out in just a few months here in MN.

Starting to put some plans in place for spring construction.

I have 4 big things to do this year:

*stairs/boardwalks up bluff
*deck
*sheeting interior of cabin
*sauna.

I’m just starting to put plans together for
Deck on cabin. The exterior deck will be one step lower from my covered porch. This is because a) it’s 11” less for legs, and b) the terrain starts to run away from the cabin so lower is better. Deck will 22’ x 8’- don’t really have room for more than 8’.

Here’s what I’m thinking.

I have a few potential anchor points for the deck to the cabin:
* lag the deck to the ends of the triple beams that support the cabin
* I can lag the deck to the 6x6 support posts that support the cabin
* I can have the deck freestanding (using it’s own posts)

Of these three I feel it should be freestanding/self supporting. In other words- the deck should not rely on the cabin for its structural integrity.

Am I wrong? Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Photos and details of plan below.

My plan would involve 6-6x6 posts and footings for the deck. The posts on the cabin side would be self supported of course but fastened to the inside of the rim (and possibly even to the tripled cabin beams) for lateral stability.

The 3 posts on the non-cabin side would be standard deck support with 12” cantilever. Cross braces are not detailed in the plans below but would be likely needed/ added.

Stringers are 2x8s and ledgers are 2x10s due to 11’ span.

Last photo is how currently sits showing where deck post would be attached to cabin

Would love to hear your thoughts.
F5813B5BE84F4CC99.jpeg
F5813B5BE84F4CC99.jpeg
0A98DE382BB44B1C9.jpeg
0A98DE382BB44B1C9.jpeg
5B56165C5035493C8.jpeg
5B56165C5035493C8.jpeg

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 4 Feb 2022 13:14 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

Thought I would add REAL photo of current build and the deck in RED to see the integration a little easier.
DA2EF8FA81904C699.jpeg
DA2EF8FA81904C699.jpeg
6E94D693BA874CE89.jpeg
6E94D693BA874CE89.jpeg

BRADISH
# Posted: 4 Feb 2022 14:15

In my opinion, I think you're on the right track with the self supporting model but tied to the cabin for stability.

In my neck of the woods we have about a 4 ft frost line, and I don't see too many people battle jacking/heaving with their cabins - but I consistently see it with the decks. I personally think its the lack of downward force to combat the effects of the jacking that produce these results specifically in the decks.

With that said, I think it will need to be tied into your cabin for vastly increased stability, but perhaps in a way that can be adjusted reasonably if there is differences in settling over time.

Watching your build you do everything very nicely so I have no doubt you will be just fine!

For my front deck I did end up using fixed saddles on the nearest cabin legs, and then ran that out to deck support piers/beam. The outer deck support piers have a range of -10"/+2ft of adjustability in them that will allow me to compensate for all except the worst potential heaving.

I look forward to seeing how you attack it!
Deck_Crop.jpg
Deck_Crop.jpg

BRADISH
# Posted: 4 Feb 2022 14:22

Found a picture one day earlier that shows the saddles for the deck beams a bit better.
20220204_102057.jpg
20220204_102057.jpg

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Feb 2022 14:23

How far in are the current posts from the outer wall? Can you jack up the front porch a bit to cut the current girder at the center of the current post then add new/longer girter on for your porch? This would eliminate the need for 3 more holes right next to the current ones, also 3 more posts and sono tubes.

If you need the step down to the porch I believe they make a metal bracket for this.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 4 Feb 2022 15:21 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

BRADISH

Thanks. Good thing is my site is all granite… so no heaving!!

I love your steel beams! I wish I could’ve done that but would’ve had a hard time carrying those up a hill !

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 4 Feb 2022 15:37 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

Brettny
Hey Brett- appreciate the feedback.

no sonotubes… all granite with just a Few inches of topsoil…. Which make it a bit easier but has its own challenges.

Cantilever for cabin is about 2’ over the post.

Not thrilled about new footings either… The reason I had thought about attaching the upper part of posts to the rim/beam is because it far enough past the footings to dig new ones… though frankly these would be much smaller than the footing for the cabin…. Probably 12” max instead of 24” like I have for the cabin itself.

Rather than cutting out beam and substituting with a longer one…if I was to go that route…wouldn’t it make sense to simply attach a ledger across the beams? Kind of like In the pic below?
474477803CE54D4E8.jpeg
474477803CE54D4E8.jpeg

BRADISH
# Posted: 4 Feb 2022 16:54

Quoting: Grizzlyman
BRADISH

Thanks. Good thing is my site is all granite… so no heaving!!

I love your steel beams! I wish I could’ve done that but would’ve had a hard time carrying those up a hill !

Ahh I'm sure than has its own fun set of problems.. But at least you know its solid!!

And I hear you about packing things in - That's why I just have my wife do it!

Kidding, kidding.

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Feb 2022 18:29

Being right on rock changes things. I would drill and epoxy in brackets for the posts and do it just like you have it. You will still need horizontal bracing like you have under the porch.

You can attach the ledger right to the beams but end screwing isnt very strong. You could find a hanger and do that though. But being your on rock I wouldnt mess with that and just add a post. I think even 4x4 post would work in this situation..and 4x4 post hardly work any where but a fence.

ICC
# Posted: 4 Feb 2022 21:42 - Edited by: ICC

Freestanding. 6x6 piers. No connection to cabin. Unless provision was made during thr design/construction of the cabin I find it better to go freestanding.

AWC guide download

That D/L link can be found on this page if the link above does not work; DCA#6

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 5 Feb 2022 10:20

I like to have them like picture 2 is . Deck has it's oun support. And they fasten it to the cabin with a couple lag screws. They can easily be removed if you do have to relevel, but since your on granite you should be stable. And help keep it fastened to your cabin. But if you're cabin is on the granite it should be pretty stable.
I like the seperate supports when possible so when folks are on the deck you don't feel the vibrations in the cabin floor.
If you're doing a handrail maybe cut the outer post longer to extend up for your handrail supports. Extending them above your deck. Gussets for good cross bracing on the posts.
Unless like Brad you have lots of steel pipes. That is a strong foundation. And like the pictures Grizzly was showing. I also like a step down to the deck as we get lots of snow n it melts. I put a small outward slope on my decks for drainage.
Place is looking really nice

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 5 Feb 2022 20:22 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

Aklogcabin
Thanks. As is planned only connection to cabin is the top of the posts-3 lags total… but not holding any weight- simply as a point to stabilize. Agree- that should cut down on any vibrations from one structure to the other. I am also worried about snow load on a deck… so I’d like to keep the structure seperate in case something happens to the deck over time. I know that is not likely when built correctly but I’d prefer to not have the deck drag down the cabin.

I also really like the idea to use the 6x6 supports for hand railing corner- great idea! thanks

Not detailed above… but deck will have stairs on either side… with the long side closed in by railing and within 10-20 ft or so of a bluff. Should have a nice feel of floating in the trees when standing on edge of deck.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 5 Feb 2022 20:29

Quoting: ICC
Freestanding. 6x6 piers. No connection to cabin. Unless provision was made during thr design/construction of the cabin I find it better to go freestanding.

Thanks icc. Good to hear my idea is sound. It was designed to be added from the get-go in similar free standing fashion- though not 100% fleshed out at design.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.