Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Ventilating a Crawlspace
spencerin
# Posted: 24 Feb 2022 22:08 - Edited by: spencerin

I don't have a "real" crawlspace but rather skirting, and now I need to ventilate the space.

I know what code is, but what I want to do is mechanically, instead of passively, vent it. I planned on installing a 4" round vent in each corner, placing a 100-ish max CFM duct fan in the middle of the crawlspace, and using it to exhaust the space to the outside through ductwork and a 5th vent.

So, the rate of air movement will be fine (this is a 336 sq. ft. space). Any other suggestions? I thought about adding a vapor barrier, but I'm not sure how much that will help as the air flow should whisk anyway any moisture coming out of the ground, no? I actually want to dry out the dirt as much as possible and think a vapor barrier would work against it.

I do need to do something because as it currently stands it retains a lot moisture under there.

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Feb 2022 04:47

Wet dirt under your vapor barrier wont matter because it's out of the crawl space envelope. Duct fans can be prety noisy and poor quality. Why not vapor barrier and vent it passively?

spencerin
# Posted: 25 Feb 2022 07:59

I have a good duct fan picked out, so good to go there. And with mechanical venting, you can make sure the ventilation happens.

gcrank1
# Posted: 25 Feb 2022 09:16

How about the higher quality 'computer fans' with ball bearings?

neb
# Posted: 25 Feb 2022 09:32

I have a crawl space on my primary home. I built the home from ground up and have about 3 1/2 feet below ground line.

I was told to lay plastic down on the ground and cut in small screen vents on all sides. If the structure is longer one some of the sides cut in two vents. My vent are built that I can close them or open them. In 35 years in the home I have not had one issue with moisture or lack of air movement. I open them early spring and close then late fall.
Good luck in how ever you do the project.

spencerin
# Posted: 25 Feb 2022 09:52

I think I'll add some vapor barrier to the ground, too. Thanks, guys.

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Feb 2022 10:32

Get concrete underlayment. It's very very thick plastic. I dont thing big box stores will have it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.