Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / I have a question on tar paper
neb
# Posted: 30 May 2011 21:39 - Edited by: neb

I started my shack and I tar papered the roof and black jacked all seams and the sides. It is nailed down and also have some lathe tacked over the seams to help from wind getting under the paper. I also left it a little longer and tacked down on the facia board. I don't know when I will get back there to finish the roof with tin or shingles. Do you think it will last and keep out the rain for a few weeks or so. I really don't want that floor to get to much water. The paper is 40 lb. and will it stand up to weather and not break down? Thanks

Just
# Posted: 30 May 2011 21:58

the truth, mine did not !! but i just nailed it on with a staple gun , no tar ,no straping . when i came back in two weeks one sheet was off but not much water in side . i then got some 20 year shingles on it and it was fine !! I think the rolled roofing is a good way to go [ you have a low slope] if you are worried about it lasting just shorten the reviel to 12 in that will give it 3 full layers of shingle ,should last a long time..

bobrok
# Posted: 30 May 2011 22:07

I quick-built my shed last fall and finished up just before snow and frost so I didn't get a chance to install the roofing over the tar paper. As a last resort I tarped over the shed and turnbuckled it tight under the eaves. When I finally got back up there for the first time last weekend it was just fine and didn't tear or leak at all.
I don't know if I'd trust tar paper for very long. I now trust a Wal-Mart tarp over the winter, however, FWIW.

neb
# Posted: 30 May 2011 22:07

Just

Thanks, Just for the experience you had. I did nail mine with large headed galv nail and also striped it at every seam with lathe. Man I hope it does so my roof ply doesn't get to much damage. Do you remember if you used the light paper or the heavy? That OSB may not take to much water. Thanks

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 30 May 2011 22:25

neb---it will be fine, heck here in the south, i saw people raise 2 genrations of childern in house only tar papered. It amazing how long it lasted on roof and outside walls===( stange but true)

neb
# Posted: 30 May 2011 22:50

turkeyhunter

That's what I wanted to hear some confidence. I do believe it will hold up till I get back there and if it doesn't it isn't the end of the world. You have been a big help and thanks again for your help.

Just
# Posted: 31 May 2011 09:05

not sure about the paper . mine was over a prefinshed pine ceiling no damage i was lucky! you could just keep going with the tarpaper and make a build-up roof [three layers of tarpaper with roofing tar inbetween then some gravel on top} makes a 20 year roof, might be your best choice !!

neb
# Posted: 31 May 2011 22:55

I broke down and ordered the tin today for the roof.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.