Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Possible Cause for Floor Sink?
<< . 1 . 2 .
troodon
# Posted: 15 Apr 2022 23:02

Thanks spencerin. I just realized that the toilet drain is fairly close to the skirting, maybe a foot in from it. Then when it does a 90 to horizontal it runs parallel to the outside wall, towards the clean-out. Meaning that it's not as hard to get to as I had assumed. I don't know why I didn't notice this earlier. It's right there in my pictures.

With the skirting off I could probably dig along the whole toilet drain path, assuming there isn't a foundation post (log) in the way. That gives me new hope. I didn't go up this week because my family got hit by covid, finally after 2 years. Been a rough week, but we're all recovering. I hope to go up to the cabin next week.

The accessibility of the pipe also means I could follow the steps gcrank1 laid out for diverting water. I was just re-reading the input everyone has given, and it's really great, so thank you. I need to study it and research it more to process it all, as I'm learning as I go.

troodon
# Posted: 8 May 2022 07:34

So, the toilet drain's not easy to get to, it turns out. There are foundation posts in the way. I'm stuck with it. The plan is for the plumber to remove the toilet, cut the pipe a bit from above, and re-attach the flange. Or maybe he'd have to put a new flange on, I don't know.

It could very well have been caused by frost heave, but also maybe by the sides of the house sinking. A flooring guy looking under the house noticed that the high spot in the cabin is in the middle, directly over the point where a girder is supported by a post. At that point, the girder is actually two different timbers whose ends are weakly joined or sistered, creating the conditions for a hinge effect. Over time, the cabin has sunk on the far ends of that girder.

Here's a picture. It's a close up, so it doesn't really show the crowning effect to the sides, but under there you can really see the bow. Maybe we can address it some day, but right now we're dealing with other issues and can't afford it.
Girder Hinge
Girder Hinge

gcrank1
# Posted: 8 May 2022 13:13

If you ever think you might want to jack up and re-level the structure to match the high point, which you should, having cut off the sewer pipe will bite you.
Now that you have identified that issue beneath maybe use a laser-level inside (where it easier to check) to find out about how much lower all other points are from that high spot.
If that sewer pipe is already at about the right height if the building is jacked up Id consider making a temp 'riser' for under the stool for now.

troodon
# Posted: 8 May 2022 15:13

I would love to be able to do it, but it's beyond my capacity to do myself. What does a new concrete foundation run? That's probably what it needs. The more solid cabins I see around the area have a concrete wall visible around the lower perimeter of the structure. We'll just have to live with the slopes of the cabin, I think.

gcrank1
# Posted: 8 May 2022 16:21

Lots of cabins do not have a 'crete foundation, and are level.
Imo, You need to research, and get tips here, on how to jack and re-level it. as the preimeter is sinking away from the high point the structure is slowly pulling apart.

troodon
# Posted: 8 May 2022 16:47

OK thanks. I'll research it, and probably start a new thread about that process when I get into decision-making time about the foundation.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.