Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Alaskan Slab
mag162
# Posted: 1 Jun 2011 07:32

Good morning all,
I have a 12x28 amish built shed that I am converting to a cabin. I have added windows and built a 2.5" thick door for it also. It has been insulated. 2 weeks ago I took delivery of a bunch of rough sawn pine for the interior walls.
So here is my dilemma. Before I close up the walls inside. I need to make a decision on its foundation. As she sits now on a bed of gravel with double chimney blocks. along the outside edge of the cabin the gravel has washed away in 3 areas under the blocks.
I have a friend who can do an alaskan slab for me. 6" concrete with rebar and wire. and then just drop the cabin on top?
Any ideas on this type of contruction in upstate NY. Herkimer county.

PlicketyCat
# Posted: 12 Jun 2011 05:22

I can't speak to NY, but here in Alaska that floating slab works fairly well on the right site. Your site might not be right for it... need to figure out what's causing your gravel to get washed away first.

1) How deep is your gravel bed?
2) How many layers and what size is your gravel? Did you start with coarse rock and end up with small gravel with fines that you tamped down?
3) Do you have gutters? If so, are the downspouts extended well away from the walls and graded away from the house?

Your existing foundation should be working if your gravel bed is solid and you're controlling the water with spouts and grading. If neither of those is right, then even a concrete slab will have problems.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.