Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Valley in screw down metal roof
riverhunter
# Posted: 27 Jun 2022 10:32 - Edited by: riverhunter

Hello, everyone.

I just bought a small off-grid cabin in the woods of northern California. What would be the best way to properly fix this valley between screw down metal roof panels? I have researched butyl tape, different sealants, etc. It appears that someone used a 2x4 slathered in mastic.

I would like a repair that is more appealing looking than the current one. I assume that I can get a narrow sheet of the same roofing and apply that in the valley with the proper sealant. We do get a good amount of snow in this location during the winter.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cabin_roof.jpg
Cabin_roof.jpg

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 27 Jun 2022 12:22 - Edited by: Tim_Ohio

If the roof was fastened with screws, you can easily remove the sections necessary to get to the valley. Install new screws when you reinstall it. The new valley section should be easily bought from a metal roofing supply. I've removed and reinstall parts of my roof to do various tasks, such as spray under it for carpenter bees, chuckling.

Tim_Ohio

riverhunter
# Posted: 27 Jun 2022 14:36

Thanks for the info!

I think the section I am looking for is called "valley flashing" or a "valley pan". I'll see what I can find and get that repaired.

Spraying for bees up there sounds exciting.

ICC
# Posted: 27 Jun 2022 15:24 - Edited by: ICC

Just to be sure it is understood, the flashing goes under the roofing. The purpose of the little ridge in the valley bottom is to deflect water and try to help keep it from being pushed or splashed up under the edge of the panel on the opposite side of the valley. Not all valley flashing is made like that.

That's not my roof nor my work. I would prefer to not have that much valley showing.

Roofing underlay goes on the roof sheathing first, then flashing in valleys and anywhere else that the trim goes under the finish roofing panels like drip edges. Then the panels are applied over top and butyl sealing tape applied at edges. Rake end trim and ridge caps are last when done right.
newfile
newfile

ICC
# Posted: 27 Jun 2022 15:26

I'm sorry the image is showing so large. I uploaded it to the site server as always and it is supposed to be re-sized automatically. Something must be amiss. Maybe the moderator can check what is going on.

riverhunter
# Posted: 27 Jun 2022 20:45

Great info, ICC. I appreciate it.

That 2x4 laying in the puddle of sealant bothers me every time I see it. I'll get that fixed up asap.

Anything else come to mind that I should check as far as the metal roofing? I plan on handing this cabin down to the kids, so I aim to protect it.

Thanks again

ICC
# Posted: 27 Jun 2022 22:46

fixed the image

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Jun 2022 07:07

Theres a specific piece of metal for hips and valleys.
Disregard the red drawings. Home depot and lowes wont have this stuff.

Sealants should never be the primary waterproofing.
20210101_085541.jpg
20210101_085541.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Jul 2022 13:08

There is a valley flashing, if you have steep sides as you do, they have one with a fin, this will stop water from running up under the opposite side. Use flat pan head screws to hold flashing down, then install roofing metal over top. You can add a bead of that black butyl tape, allows this to float as the metal expands, but also seals it water tight.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.