Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Northern WI Cabin Foundation Issue
MimiInWi
# Posted: 17 Jul 2022 05:10

Hi, I purchased a 2 year old off grid cabin that I have now discovered was built on a poured foundation that did not have a vapor barrier nor high density foam. So I am having either concrete sweating or moisture wicking from below. No flooring on top of concrete. I have moisture behind the vapor barrier in front of the wall insulation where a few walls were not finished. Apparently, there is sand under the poured foundation, no gravel.
Questions:
1. Has anyone used Bone Dry www.bonedryproducts.com ? Its supposed to harden the concrete and create a moisture barrier.
2. Has anyone used the dimple membrane to create a moisture barrier on top of the foundation.

If this was your place, how would you go about correcting it? ALL brain storming ideas welcome.

Brettny
# Posted: 17 Jul 2022 06:33

Did you get to the cabin and it was warmer outside than in and leave the windows and doors open?

Concrete dosnt like drastic temp changes geom cold to hot very much you get condensation on/in the slab. Prob the right fix would be laying down 2in foamboard all over the floor and putting the sub floor on that. Ate your wall bottom plates pressure treated?

MimiInWi
# Posted: 17 Jul 2022 14:26 - Edited by: MimiInWi

Brettny, yes the wall bottom plate is pressure treated. Its actually double plated to keep mice out, but the plate attached to the poured foundation is treated.

MimiInWi
# Posted: 17 Jul 2022 18:26

Brettny, yes the wall bottom plate is pressure treated. Its actually double plated to keep mice out, but the plate attached to the poured foundation is treated.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 18 Jul 2022 10:36

Getting ground moisture. Would gutters help carry away rain water. Is the ground excavation graded away from the building ? Do you have adequate ventilation ?
It may be as easy as adding the correct amount of ventilation for air circulation. Rain gutters. Add vapor barrier to walls.
Dehumidifier.
If the building has been closed up tight for a while, opening up and airing it out. Good luck n congratulations on your cabin

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.