Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Still roofing underground
ketchgould
# Posted: 7 Aug 2022 20:51

I dug a corner into my hill here in Northern Wisconsin for a 22x12 shed. Six feet of the building will be built into this hill. I am going to ballon frame with 2x6s.

I have some steel pro rib roofing here I am not using. I was hoping for opinions on using the steel below grade on the shed to act as a wall against the earth.

Any ideas?

I talked to the hardware store and he thought it was an interesting idea but he said I should Special order below grade treated plywood and then cover that with a $300 membrane.

Thanks

ICC
# Posted: 7 Aug 2022 23:00

How long it would last depends on many variables as well as what you expect. Soils vary from acidic to alkaline, moisture content, drainage... Roofing panels vary in types of anti-rust protections . Are there cut edges? Holes? Rust will start there. What about the wood framing you will be using. If not PT for at least a ground contact use it will probably cause trouble before the metal rusts out?

Brettny
# Posted: 8 Aug 2022 09:03

Dont do it. Any scratch, cut or hole in the very thin coating will make it rust. Build it proper and to last.

Ho much underground does it need to be?

ketchgould
# Posted: 8 Aug 2022 09:21

Five feet deep and 12 feet long.

Any other ideas on what to use?

gcrank1
# Posted: 8 Aug 2022 09:25

Diy cement block wall?
What do you have in mind to stop water migration from the hillside?

ICC
# Posted: 8 Aug 2022 11:29

Best would be to build it like a basement wall.

1. Concrete block wall as suggested or a formed and poured solid concrete wall, with the usual basement type of waterproofing.

2. Permanent wood foundation construction. Foundation grade PT and waterproof membrane.

Like the hardware store guy suggested.

Pretty much anything else is sort of temporary, with a very variable timeframe.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.