Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Gap between insulation and exterior?
Pancakes
# Posted: 19 Aug 2022 21:12

Lately I've been reading / seeing more about air gaps between the insulation and exterior sheathing. For both the roof and even walls.

Just an inch and half of empty space running up the entire thing for ventilation? Especially with insulation like rockwool or fiberglass. Then with the interior having the vapor barrier.

I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are on that? Should a small 24x16 cabin (a-frame, specifically) plan for making that gap? Or should I just insulate the full width of the joists?

It's also a 4 season area (Maine) that can get chilly during the winter months. If that makes much of a difference.

spencerin
# Posted: 19 Aug 2022 22:14 - Edited by: spencerin

Where are you reading and seeing this?

Pancakes
# Posted: 19 Aug 2022 22:40

Quoting: spencerin
Where are you reading and seeing this?

All over the place now that I'm aware of it.

https://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/2259-air-spaces-in-walls-myth-and-science--- overview

On roofs for ventilation seems to be the standard (ran into it a while ago when watching roofing / tiling videos).

But then more recently reading about how it is also used in the walls to keep them from developing mold issues. Especially with those using rockwool or fiberglass?

spencerin
# Posted: 19 Aug 2022 23:50 - Edited by: spencerin

Well, that article says NOT to put a gap between the insulation and sheathing. In others words, not to have a gap in each stud bay. But, you do need a ventilation system for the roof, yes. Maybe you are trying to describe something different for the walls?

That said, if you're building an a-frame, it's pretty much all just one big roof, so, yes, you'd have to ventilate the "walls".....

Brettny
# Posted: 20 Aug 2022 06:43

If you have metal siding that gap between the siding and sheething would be called a rain screen.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.