Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Untreated joist coming back to haunt me....
<< . 1 . 2 .
Nobadays
# Posted: 18 Oct 2022 10:17

Quoting: WILL1E
would bleach be the better route if i'm going to do it?

Several different threads on here suggest white vinegar.

gcrank1
# Posted: 18 Oct 2022 11:01 - Edited by: gcrank1

Vinegar is certainly safer that bleach to the user; you can even drink a shot a day of apple cider vinegar for health (if you can stand it).

ICC
# Posted: 18 Oct 2022 11:29

IIRC vinegar is actually more effective than bleach at killing mold on wood. The vinegar soaks in more. The mild acid in vinegar kills about 80% of known molds and may help prevent future outbreaks. Bleach is great at getting rid of the surface mold, but does not kill what is underneath. That may cause the mold to grow back with more vigor. Also, IIRC, ordinary household vinegar is fine the way it comes at 5% concentration.

Fanman
# Posted: 18 Oct 2022 12:45

Quoting: FishHog
Me personally, I wouldn't give that a second thought. People have built with untreated wood for many centuries more than they have with treated wood. I'm not sure that is even mold and if it is, I suspect it was from when the wood was still wet and looks good and dry now and shouldn't be getting any worse.

Maybe its just me, but that wouldn't have made me even raise an eyebrow.

This.

travellerw
# Posted: 19 Oct 2022 15:10

Quoting: WILL1E
I bought Borax to mix with water in a sprayer...would bleach be the better route if i'm going to do it?

Borax is absolutely the best mold killer there is. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. We used it all over our boat and it worked WAY WAY better than bleach.

ICC
# Posted: 19 Oct 2022 16:52

Bleach is the last thing to use; better to not do anything. Bleached mold comes back. It makes the surface mold didappear, but only the surface.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.