Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Permit question
smitty
# Posted: 12 Jun 2011 22:43

So I need to get a permit I think, to have a 12x32 "shed" set on our land. Thing is, I have left numerous messages with the code guy.. The one everyone says I need to call. No response. So I don't even know, if I even need a permit or not..
So I am wondering, if maybe the code enforcer is not who I need to contact, never needed to contact them before..
What would you all do.. Call someone else? Go ahead and sit the shed out there and take the fines later? Or?...
Advice?

P.S. Area is in Finger Lakes NY..

dk1393
# Posted: 13 Jun 2011 06:43

You can call the town hall to check on the contact info.

smitty
# Posted: 13 Jun 2011 18:01 - Edited by: smitty

I left a voice mail, with the town clerk, and the code enforcer, and sent an email to the county, the town board, and I found the unofficial website, and sent an email to him.
I also sent an email to the guy I bought the land from. See if he can help me out. And also asked the cabin builder, to see what he had to say about it..
I got this far, now I have to figure out how this system works. Never done it before. Totally stupid with the business end of this..

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 13 Jun 2011 21:20

I'm an electrician and have to deal with codes enforcement guys all the time. Personally speaking, and it sounds like you have made every effort to contact someone, I would just go ahead with the project and if and when the code enforcement shows up tell them everything you've told us here. I'm guessing you live in a very small town. Likelihood is that no one will ever say anything unless you make a neighbor angry and they raise hell.

just my 2ยข

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Jun 2011 21:34

Quoting: Bzzzzzt
Likelihood is that no one will ever say anything unless you make a neighbor angry and they raise hell.

Bingo

If yer religious about code, and will be building accordingly, if they happen by, they'll just fine you a bit over what a permit would cost. At least that's been the experience.
Generally, neighbors are the key.......

Montanan
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 02:02

We went through a similar thing. I agree- you've made every effort. Just go for it.

smitty
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 05:55

I'm starting to lean in that direction..
Yes Bzzzzt.. Tiny town, out in the sticks. Other small cabins and stuff out there, so I doubt I'd hear anything too. Would be nice to have it in black and white though, just to be sure.
I did get an email from the guy I bought the land from..

He said: I doubt anyone got a permit for any of the little cabins down there.
Its your land and you pretty much can do whatever you want with it up here in this area.

That pretty much confirms what I was thinking.

Thanks for letting me vent here guys, you all been there done that, and have some good advice, and are good listeners.. :)

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 11:06 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Go to the township permit office personally, by foot, and get your answers.

The public email from the website gets too much spam so they just ingnore it.
Once you build, it will be difficult to "un-build" and, once you are exposed, they (code enforcement officers) will not get off your back until satisfied.
I think it's too much risk to rely on being on good terms with all neighbors, all the time. Even if you do, someone will just get jealous, etc.
Yes, I understand gov't bureaucrats can be arrogant and making unjustly hard for you to find them to get answers, but I don't think you have a choice.
In either case, at least build according to the code, so your will not have to dismantle the structure.

bobrok
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 13:44

smitty,

I've sent you an e-mail to the previous address we used; it didn't bounce back but perhaps you aren't monitoring that address regularly.
offgridfanatgmaildotcom

smitty
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 18:49

Sorry, I don't check email very often, at least not that one. Had a bunch in there. I should check it more often...

smitty
# Posted: 16 Jun 2011 20:02

I got an email from the town..
Got his home, cell, and office number, and hours he is in the office..
Getting there, slowly but surely.. I never give up.. :D

bobrok
# Posted: 17 Jun 2011 00:21

Cool.

rayyy
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 17:10

Keep us posted,Smitty.It seem's the each township play's by different rules here in newyork.I think it's rediculous to impose such crazy requirements on someone wanting to build a small recreational cabin.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 18:05 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Quoting: rayyy
I think it's rediculous to impose such crazy requirements on someone wanting to build a small recreational cabin.

Here is my guess on where these seem to be common building requirements come from (i.e., generally under 100 OR over ~1000 sq ft and nothing in between, septic, electrical, etc.) :
The "building code people" want to ensure that every dwelling conforms to some minimum requirements necessary to sustain a full-time living family. We may want to build a small cabin for occasional / recreational use, but it will be sold eventually. The people who will buy it and move in there full-time could be (or become later) a family of 4 in need - that's all they can afford. So that family will end up living in conditions deemed substandard, and that's what "code people" are trying to prevent - to ensure no such dwellings exist.

Again, just my guess - trying to understand their reasoning.

bobrok
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 18:23

Quoting: CabinBuilder

Quoting: rayyy
I think it's rediculous to impose such crazy requirements on someone wanting to build a small recreational cabin.

Here is my guess on where these seem to be common building requirements come from (i.e., generally under 100 OR over ~1000 sq ft and nothing in between, septic, electrical, etc.) :
The "building code people" want to ensure that every dwelling conforms to some minimum requirements necessary to sustain a full-time living family. We may want to build a small cabin for occasional / recreational use, but it will be sold eventually. The people who will buy it and move in there full-time could be (or become later) a family of 4 in need - that's all they can afford. So that family will end up living in conditions deemed substandard, and that's what "code people" are trying to prevent - to ensure no such dwellings exist.

Again, just my guess - trying to understand their reasoning.

Combine this with the propensity of "certain states" to legislate anything and everything they can get their hands on whether it be for taxation or regulation, and "voila" there you have it.

smitty
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 19:11

Quoting: CabinBuilder
So that family will end up living in conditions deemed substandard, and that's what "code people" are trying to prevent - to ensure no such dwellings exist.

This makes since.. But behind ever good intention, is a hidden agenda.. 9 times out of 10, that would be money.. Tax revenue.
But it's for your protection, or thats how they sell it..
My question about the whole thing is who decides what is "substandard".. If I choose to live a certain way, on my time here on earth, and it suits me just fine, who gets to decide my lifestyle is substandard. A rich guy? I wouldn't want that job. That's for sure.

My grandpa grew up, without electricity, without indoor plumbing, without a car. It served him well, he is almost 90 and can still crush rocks with his bare hands..
Just a rant on that subject.

I got voice mail again, 3 different numbers. No returned calls yet. Going to keep trying. If no answers by Friday. I'm building it.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 19:19

Quoting: smitty
I'm building it.

go for it........it's all about tax revenue!!!!!

bobrok
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 20:26

smitty,

I am e-mailing you something that you will find very interesting; it pertains to your area so i'll keep it off the forum.

check your e-mail soon.

Gary O
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 20:40

Quoting: turkeyhunter
go for it........

The gist of it all (supposedly), as often been told, is to keep residences at a certain standard so the adjoining neighbor won't incur a decrease in the value of their home.......IN TOWN!!
Funny, haha........the revenuers and financial string holders did that all on their own!
Ya'll are gettin' me started..........so I gotta hold my keyboard.
But, I'm with TH and you smitty, all the way.

Keep a fire

smitty
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 22:23

bobrok,
Very interesting..
Thank you for the read..

smitty
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 22:25

Quoting: Gary O
Ya'll are gettin' me started..........so I gotta hold my keyboard.

Hehehe,
I hear you loud and clear..

bobrok
# Posted: 21 Jun 2011 14:30

Quoting: smitty
Very interesting..
Thank you for the read..

Not to make light of this, but the thought had occured to me that the old "buyer beware" adage might apply to building and zoning permits, too.

I don't know how prevalent this is in other parts of the country, but in NY many TOWNS and VILLAGES post, at their roadside boundaries, a small sign reading something to the effect that peddling and building permits are required. This could be the "buyer beware" posting that will bring the law after you. There is no such thing as an unincorporated piece of land anywhere in NYS. Every parcel of property lies within the corporate area of some type of jurisdiction.

I wish I could have driven through your town when I was in that area recently to see if such signs are up. It would be something to check on your next visit here.

smitty
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 07:27

Looks like I woke up this morning to an email from the town hall.
Doesn't look like I'll have any trouble getting a permit for a "shed"..
Assuming I can catch the code guy to issue me one lol..
But that's another thing that troubles me now. It's a "shed".. Which would probably be fine if it was an occasional use cabin for hunting or camping. But might be pushing my luck trying to go at it full time. I don't know, I imagine that could get tricky, if they wanted to pick on someone.

I guess well go for the "shed" permit, and see what happens.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.