Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Gutter sizing...
WILL1E
# Posted: 31 Aug 2022 13:47

I need to get some gutters up on the cabin to help control the water. I'd like to go with these gutters as they will match my steel roof and soffit color. However, when i look at the tech specs listed on that page, the backside of the gutter is 5 1/8" tall. I'll have to double check but i think my facia board is only 4 1/4-4 1/2" or so, meaning the gutter would hang past the soffit level.

Is that ok?

Nate R
# Posted: 31 Aug 2022 14:27

I think that would be fine, although the large gutters might look a tad odd.

Also, put those in the Menards cart to get a full total...you have to be careful, the packaging charges for long gutters may REALLY add to the cost, or the hassle to return the 16 foot box....

I paid $600 for someone else to roll and install 2 simple gutters across both sides and in all black aluminum material. That was in 2021, so dunno if prices are higher or lower... But a point of reference for you.

-Nate

spencerin
# Posted: 31 Aug 2022 14:40

Doubt it'd be a problem, and doubt anyone would notice.

I'm doing some gutter research myself currently as well, and I noticed you're looking at in 6"-ers. There are sizing guides to verify this, but I think you'd need only 5"-ers, which might have a shorter backside, and would likely cost less, too. Have you looked at those?

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 31 Aug 2022 14:53

5" from Menards worked well for my 26' run. I spliced together using caulking and pop rivets and they looked really good. Here is a pic. Keeping them clean in the woods is a bit of a problem. I'm trying the 4" gutter brushes that are just what the title says, they are like a large diameter test tube brush, 3' long. You lay them in the gutter and the leaves and debris are supposed to not clog up the gutter. However, they do need pulled out every once in awhile and cleaned. Hope the short pine needle problem can be controlled.
gutter front
gutter front

travellerw
# Posted: 31 Aug 2022 14:55

Question.. What is your plan to keep the snow and ice from damaging the gutters. On my cabin I often have large snow/ice sliding off that would easily tear the guttters off. I was thinking of putting the gutters lower in hopes that the bottom hip would throw the snow/ice past them.

Just wondering if you have the same problem?

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 31 Aug 2022 15:18

@travellerw

Ever consider snow guards on the roof?

travellerw
# Posted: 31 Aug 2022 16:10

Quoting: Tim_Ohio
Ever consider snow guards on the roof?

Yup.. They have a bunch of different names up here Snow guards, baffles, snow stops, ect.. However, they have limited use on the Gambrel roof. The one part of the roof is so steep that the guards wouldn't do much.

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Sep 2022 06:29

I would be interested to see if you can keep gutters on your metal roof in snow country. I have seen snow guards ripped off of commercial standing seam with ladder style guards and R pannel roof with glue on snow guards. The glue down ones lasted maybe 2 years but didnt damage the roof. The ladder style lasted longer but damaged alot of roofing.

jsahara24
# Posted: 6 Sep 2022 09:45

we did 2' overhangs and no gutters, gravel at the ground to keep dirt from splashing all around.... If we put gutters on with a metal 9:12 pitch roof they wouldn't last long.....

One night I was awoken by the snow shedding off the roof in the middle of the night...I literally jumped out of bed it was so loud....

Not sure how much snow you get but figure in WI its gotta be pushing 100 inches a year?

Good luck...

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Sep 2022 09:53

We dont typically get huge snow loads, but they do tend to accumulate, and wet heavy snow slides off the cabin metal roof (7/12?) have been alarming; I cant imagine gutters staying in place. Maybe the slide velocity kicks the snow over the gutters?
The gambrel roofed tool shed/workshop looks like even worse, that steep lower will accelerate the slide more into the gutter.
Ive been running a row of the cheap landscaping blocks at the drip line to be a splash pad.

BRADISH
# Posted: 13 Sep 2022 13:54

Quoting: Brettny
I would be interested to see if you can keep gutters on your metal roof in snow country. I have seen snow guards ripped off of commercial standing seam with ladder style guards and R pannel roof with glue on snow guards. The glue down ones lasted maybe 2 years but didnt damage the roof. The ladder style lasted longer but damaged alot of roofing.

By whatever bit of luck and magic, we have metal gutters (nailed in) on the cabin we are currently staying at that have been in place for 20 years and still look and function like new. Metal roof, 6/12 pitch, never seem to be damaged by heavy, full roof snow slides. Quite impressive actually.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.