Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Shingle Froe
Lumber Guy
# Posted: 15 Jun 2011 04:33

Occasionally, wood shingles have to be replaced. A shingle froe is a very handy tool to have and buying a new one is expensive. Rather than buy a new one, I decided to try to make my own.
The first step is to acquire a piece of a vehicle leaf spring with a hole in one end. My friend Bennie provided this from a truck spring.

Truck spring froe

The spring had to be heated and shaped to make a useable froe. I had to use the tools I had on hand. The grill worked okay with forced air from a hair dryer. As an unintended benefit, hamburgers were grilled after the first pass at shaping the froe.

truck spring froe forge setup

Straightened truck spring for froe

The spring steel was extremely hard. I had tested filing the edge, and my file just skated along the metal. Once the blade was straightened and the eye centered, it was reheated and left to cool slowly in the ashes. This seemed to soften the spring steel enough to be able to file it.

I made a temporary handle from a hickory sapling to test the froe.

Froe temporary handle

Once I felt the froe was adequately shaped and worked properly, I worked on getting the cleaving edge right and started making a better handle from a seasoned white oak billet.

Making froe handle

Froe end view

This is a very functional tool that can be used for any project that requires controlled splitting of wood.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 15 Jun 2011 08:17

good job on the froe........ will be handy around your camp.

Rob_O
# Posted: 15 Jun 2011 18:25

Nice work on the tool, how about a how-to on using it? I have plenty of cedar on my property and split cedar shakes would make nice siding

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.