Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Corrugated Fiberglass Roof, or with Plywood
paulz
# Posted: 24 Sep 2022 18:50

I saved the old fence sections from my city house and am going to build a quick and dirty shed. Roof will be 8x8, pitched about as in photo, with corrugated fiberglass panels. I could put plywood under the fiberglass, and also put bats over the gaps in the fence boards.

Which is better, seal it up or let it breath? I'll have some tools inside, probably.
20220924_152552.jpg
20220924_152552.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Sep 2022 20:32

Imho, Paul, you cant 'seal it up' anyway.....as long as it is weathertight for the weather you get it will be fine.
And, if by chance, somewhere in the future you determine battens are a good idea you can easy enough do it then.

paulz
# Posted: 25 Sep 2022 10:18 - Edited by: paulz

Thanks G, yeah after sleeping on it I think I'll just go with the fiberglass roof alone. Trying to keep it simple.

Keeping inside structures dry in winter has been a confusing situation for me. The cabin always stays dry, thank goodness, and it is sealed up, windows closed when we're away. The steel shipping container under the deck is the opposite, plenty of ventilation and anything metal rusts. My shop, three concrete walls, wood roof and front wall, lots of ventilation, also is condensation prone. 300' away, deep in the forest, I have one of those storage solution pre-built sheds, wood floor and walls, metal roof, good ventilation, no condensation. Wish I knew the secret, maybe something to do with the little breeze that blows though here, planning to move a couple of nice motorcycles out.
04041712551.jpg
04041712551.jpg

Steve_S
# Posted: 25 Sep 2022 11:02

Sea Cans are Nefarious ! It's a Love / Hate thing with them. The two little vent ports at the top in the corners don't do anything worthwhile. I was pondering setting up a small solar panel to run 2, 4" Box Fans (like this is PC's) to actually move air & in theory the humidity that just loves to collect inside the "can".

There are many premade kits that are not too $$ but most seem to rely on AC Power, for myself, I'd rather a 12VDC setup with a small panel and maybe a small battery or something like.

paulz
# Posted: 26 Sep 2022 10:28

I'm going to try something like that in my shop this winter, using the small solar it has. I have a 12v ceiling fan leftover from cabin use, going to hook it to the load terminals on the SCC and time it for some period each day.

paulz
# Posted: 9 Oct 2022 14:23 - Edited by: paulz

Well I've pretty much finished my little wood/tool shed. Total cost about $10, since I bought a dozen of those roof panels for $50 last year. The walls of course are my old fence from the city house, and the roof framing is leftover from milling I did for a neighbor. Had the hinges, latch and fasteners. It's quick and dirty, wasn't sure how much I wanted it on the cabin deck so I didn't get too involved, but I think it will be a keeper. My other sheds require up or downhill travel, will be nice to have some tools, the nightly firewood and maybe a little work bench just a few steps from the cabin. Yeah I know the roof panels should go the other way but this way I didn't have to cut them, and the ridges overlap on top.

Anyway I'm sure glad I didn't sheath the roof with plywood, as it's surprising how much light comes in. We'll see how much dampness gets in on the tools.
20221007_183458.jpg
20221007_183458.jpg
20221006_154055.jpg
20221006_154055.jpg

jsahara24
# Posted: 10 Oct 2022 09:07

Looks really good, especially for the cost! and very convenient.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.