Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Insulating Metal Skirting
spencerin
# Posted: 25 Nov 2022 14:39

The crawlspace of my cabin is enclosed with metal skirting. When it's rather cold outside, the underside of the cabin within 3 feet of the skirting gets a lot of condensation, obviously due to the temperature differential.

I'm considering spray-insulating the skirting (at least 2" thick), and sealing any holes I can find, to prevent this from happening. Any reason why this wouldn't work, or that I shouldn't otherwise do this?

Cedar Fever
# Posted: 25 Nov 2022 15:14

Will you be trapping in moisture under the cabin seeping out of the ground?

travellerw
# Posted: 25 Nov 2022 15:52

Quoting: Cedar Fever
Will you be trapping in moisture under the cabin seeping out of the ground?

I would agree. I think it would be much more beneficial to to insulate the underside of the floor!

Nobadays
# Posted: 25 Nov 2022 17:33

We did both. We have a billboard tarp covering the ground. I will say it is very dry under the cabin as we are on a hill. Moisture under the cabin has not been a problem.

Two years ago we spray foamed under the floors, 4". Then last fall we spray foamed the perimeter which is metal with 2". Still no moisture issues. The benefit of the perimeter foam has been warmer under the cabin in the winter.

If your area is moist I would definitely ventilate the crawlspace during the summer.

spencerin
# Posted: 25 Nov 2022 18:18

Well, the goal is to reduce condensation, vs. floor temperature, so I'm not sure insulating the floor will contribute to that. Could be wrong on that, though.....

It's humid under there, yes, but I'll also cover most of the ground with a vapor barrier.

My thinking is that if I can keep the crawlspace and outside temperatures separated as much as possible, that'll reduce condensation.

My cabin, too, is on a hill, but it's just humid under there. I do already have a mechanical ventilation system installed (a small vent in each corner and a duct fan). I'm thinking sealing up the nooks 'n crannies with spray insulation will help with cross ventilation also.

Am I on track here???

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 26 Nov 2022 10:28

Yes. I would put the vapor barrier down first and run it up the wall 8" or so. I believe that is the source of the moisture. Spray foam the walls after so the edge is sealed also. Good luck

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.