Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Framing with Hemlock?
Pancakes
# Posted: 5 Dec 2022 08:20

I'm trying to price lumber for a small A-frame cabin (14x20), and found a local mill sells dimensional hemlock cheaper than other dimensional lumber (they also have spruce).

Anyone know if one of these would be a better choice than the typical pine? Both are cheaper than the pine I've found (with the hemlock being the cheapest)

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 5 Dec 2022 12:01

It will shrink a bit. I built a lean to storage addition from it and it worked fine for me

NorthRick
# Posted: 5 Dec 2022 19:47

Up here, graded 2X lumber from the big box stores is stamped spruce/hem/fir. Meaning the board could be spruce or hemlock or fir. My understanding is that the wood from these trees is similar enough that any will work. Pine up here is expensive and I rarely see it.

lburners
# Posted: 8 Dec 2022 23:10

I think a chunk of my framing was rough cut hemlock. No issues here. Bought it straight from a mill as you are looking to do.
I ended up having to do some extra work getting stuff straight when framing. It was air dried so a lot of the board had some slight twist etc. Its part of what you deal with for pinching pennies. I found it was strangely enjoyable getting things lined up but if you are in any sort of rush kiln dried might be advantageous.
A couple quick grip clamp/spreaders were pretty handy.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.