Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Possible to build bathroom with no ceiling within a large room??
medic149
# Posted: 11 Dec 2022 21:44

I'm obviously not a builder and this might be impossible, but......

We have a 20'x16' addition with a very pitched ceiling that we added to our cabin. I would like to add a closet and bathroom but not have ceilings on them. Leaving them open for air floor and heating.

First, is this possible? Second, looking for resources to provide help with building the walls. So they don't fall down lol

Thanks!

frankpaige
# Posted: 11 Dec 2022 21:56

Anything it possible! Consider a curtained enclosure? Either rods coming down from ceiling? Or up from the floor. I enclosed our shower area like this. 1.0 inch poly tubing going thru circular curtain rod holders. Then used shower curtain clasps to hold the shower curtains.
Wish you luck.

Brettny
# Posted: 12 Dec 2022 08:11

I used a cabin with a bathroom that was open to the rest of the cabin once. You got to hear what was going on in there day and night. I would advise against it.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 12 Dec 2022 09:48

Yes you can.

travellerw
# Posted: 12 Dec 2022 10:33

Quoting: Brettny
I used a cabin with a bathroom that was open to the rest of the cabin once. You got to hear what was going on in there day and night. I would advise against it.

120% this... Before we put the drop ceiling in our bathroom it was open the joists. In the adjacent room you could literally hold a conversation with someone in the bathroom without raising your voice. Literally zero audio privacy! You could hear every little splash, tinkle or plop.

The drop ceiling cut out 90% of the noise. So a drop ceiling may be a simple solution to your problem.

spencerin
# Posted: 12 Dec 2022 21:02

Yes, you can. Your typical stick-built framing would work. But, as has already been brought up, you'll want that privacy.

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 14 Dec 2022 10:09

Although my bathroom is very small, about the size of a phone booth, I left the tops of the walls open on two sides. I like it, since I can leave a night light plugged into the outlet in the bathroom and it lights up the ceiling for a little help finding my way around in the middle of the night. My cabin is without plumbing, so it's just there to serve as a private place for doing your business. It has a medicine cabinet with a mirror. I'm trying to figure out the best way to install a tiny sink, even if it's just draining into a container, for brushing teeth or washing off your hands.

Anyway, I like that I did not tie into the ceiling. It's located in a corner and the open ceiling goes up about 1.5 ft over the farthest wall, I think.
bath1
bath1
bath2
bath2

KinAlberta
# Posted: 15 Dec 2022 19:55

I’d want soundproof walls and an exhaust fan.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.