Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Microscopic Cabin
Hangblague
# Posted: 14 Dec 2022 16:35 - Edited by: Hangblague

Ha ha. Actually just an idea for a tiny deer blind, now that my cabin is built (documented elsewhere in the forum).

I'm thinking of putting up a tiny A frame - 4' x 8' - made mainly of 6 sheets of 4x8 plywood. 1 for the floor (3/4"), 4 for the walls (2 on edge on each side meeting at the A-frame apex) and one more, cut diagonally, to board up the two ends. These other 5 sheets could be thinner. I'd make a bit of a frame below the floor to contain the edges of the walls. Maybe cap the apex with sheet metal. Heat the space with small propane heater and battery powered CO detector.

A door on one end and a hinged plexiglass window on the other. It would fit a standard cot which could double as a seat and would allow a person to stand up straight in the middle.

Brilliant? Stupid?

Brettny
# Posted: 15 Dec 2022 11:14

An A frame for a deer blind? Seams like it would leave you with alot of blind spots you cant see out of

DaveBell
# Posted: 15 Dec 2022 14:10 - Edited by: DaveBell

Deer Hunter Blind
Don't deer hunters usually get up in a tree?

countrygirl
# Posted: 15 Dec 2022 15:50

here is what my tiny A frame looks like. 6 sheets of 4x8 plywood. it not a hunting blind, but building a small one for hunting should work great.
1.jpg
1.jpg
download_4.png
download_4.png
490a454a1be5477fa.jpg
490a454a1be5477fa.jpg
2.jpg
2.jpg

mj1angier
# Posted: 15 Dec 2022 19:54

So guess it could work but I see somethings that might be a problem. You will only have 2 walls that can have shooting window- the two vertical ones. If you try to put any in the A roof panels they will probably leak if closed and will let rain in if left open to shoot.

Angles- I hate building with anything other than 90 deg, lol. It just get more aggravating to me.

To me a 5x5 box stand with 3 windows is about right for 1 adult, 5x6 and you can add a small kid, 5x8 is good for 2 adults

Hangblague
# Posted: 15 Dec 2022 22:46

Very nice, Countrygirl.

Yes, the idea is to have only one shooting window, on the end (and door for sneaking in on the other side). It just happens to work out that way for the location I have in mind for a ground blind. The sides would have brush thick up against, and the window would be facing the shooting lane overlooking the trail intersection I have in mind.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 16 Dec 2022 09:21

Hey if it helps to get you out and enjoy life that's awesome. And the opportunity to harvest a deer even better. Good luck

mj1angier
# Posted: 16 Dec 2022 11:58

Ah, I was think more of elevated box stands and not ground stand. So if you only have one shooting direction it might work

gcrank1
# Posted: 21 Dec 2022 19:37

Having spent more than a little time with 'A frame' tents I think your sizing is too tight. Imo, a 8x8 floor and 8' height would be a min, 9x9x9 min. better (that was the size of my last canvas tent that we used for 10ish years. GREAT space for one, ok for two).
My issue with that style is that when standing I want more that a barely clearing the 'walls' with my shoulders. Also, the lower part along the sides is a hard to use space for much of anything.
Something you might try is marking out your 4x8 floor in your home and bracing up some poles or pvc plumbing pipe so you have the space to get into.

Hangblague
# Posted: 26 Dec 2022 03:12 - Edited by: Hangblague

I appreciate the feedback. I put together an end wall to get an idea of what it would look like. My daughter turned it into a nativity scene. Gcrank is right, I think about extreme cramped quarters. But for purposes of just sitting in front of a window, standing up to stretch, lying down for a nap and holding snacks and a tiny stove, I still think it works. The photo is cropped for some reason. For perspective, note I can easily crawl through the window (not that I plan to).
Nativity deer blind
Nativity deer blind

gcrank1
# Posted: 26 Dec 2022 10:50

Nice job of multi-purposing!
That size will certainly define your 'man-cave', lol.
A few more sheets of plywood and 2x4s and it could be something so much more than a tall pup tent.
Say:
Deck 8x12
roof on the 8' sides widens it out (avoids the squeeze) and gains more shoulder and head room.
make each roof section 12' high
So, 10 sheets?
Id want to make an overhang of roof around the edges too.
We had an Aliner camper that was about that size (look em up!) for 10yrs and it was a nice size for two, fantastic for one. That probably takes it to Mini from Micro for you but I think you'd grow into it.

Hangblague
# Posted: 23 Jan 2023 18:03

Thanks for that input. I suspect that the 6 plywood sheet structure will quickly become too cramped to not do something like the good ideas you offer here. I think what I'm doing so far allows me to sit still in front of the window. Crank up the propane, reach for a sandwich and lie down for a nap, or stand up and stretch once in a while. That's about it, as you note. I have left over cedar siding, so that may end up going on the walls.

I started out by thinking cot, but it would really be too cramped to walk around it. I think I'll add a 7th piece of plywood to integrate an insulated subfloor instead and bring in a camping mattress.

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Jan 2023 22:34

In the end what matters is you live Your Dream
May I suggest you use construction screws as much as possible, it makes disassembly for expansion or re-do sooo much easier.

Hangblague
# Posted: 25 Jan 2023 09:05

Agreed.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 26 Jan 2023 08:42

Agreed, enjoy Iife, I'd say that deer season got better

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.