Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Insulation Questions?
Pancakes
# Posted: 24 Dec 2022 05:53

I'm doing a small 14x20 A-Frame cabin, but I'm having difficulty finding the right insulation.

I am in a cold climate so need to do more than the insulation between rafters on the roof. I was thinking solid panels of rockwool? 2 or 4 inches? Then between the rafters would be 5.5 inches of rockwool.

I figured rockwool would be a bit healthier than something like fiberglass?

Anyhow, anyone have ideas on insulation? What have you used? Ideally something that doesn't cause health issues?

rpe
# Posted: 24 Dec 2022 11:17

What are your plans for venting the roof? Is this for occasional winter weekend use, or for longer periods?

Cedar Fever
# Posted: 24 Dec 2022 11:28

Preventing moisture buildup on the roof is the fun part of building a cabin. I want to put 4” of foam board on the outside of the cabin to start with.

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Dec 2022 14:58

We have some diagrams previously posted on other threads (Steve S?) that show the layers of 'new-generation' building techniques that look mighty sensible for insulation, venting, rain walling, etc. Without a doubt Id be using them from the ground up were I building fresh. Would be nice if somebody could re-post the pics here so we can be keeping them in mind

travellerw
# Posted: 24 Dec 2022 15:09

You have lots of great suggestions.. However, I will point out your misconception that rockwool is healthier. Its not.

Both require masking and suiting for installation. However, both are human soluble and will be flushed out of the system (in the small amount ingested in a single job). You can google it if you don't believe.

However, rockwool is easier to install as its more rigid. Its less itchy (still pretty itchy though). It also performs better if it gets wet (in a proper install, that shouldn't happen).

Sigh.. Not a fun job whatever you use.

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Dec 2022 16:17

Fwiw
We had good results in our '83 cabin using just 1" blue DOW styo on the outside of the cdx plywood sheathing, same just under the floor (between the joists on set ledger strips) and never did get around to doing anything in the cath-ceiling between the rafters. If I had known about the 'on top of the roof deck' method /purlins/metal roof to insulate and breath it would have been a better build but even so we used it all four seasons in Wisconsin, even in some bitter weather, with only the antique wood stove for heat. Typically we were down to light clothes after we cooked the cold out. Thats why I never got motivated to do the ceiling.
We did not tape the styro seams or edge all with spray foam; didnt know about all that upscale stuff. I did make good cuts and press fits in the most of it as Im kinda OC, lol. The place was way more airtight than most of the hunting cabins and fishing shacks I'd grown up with.
What Im getting at is 'its a cabin'; if you dont have to build to code and satisfy a building inspector you dont have to build like its a residence. You do need to make the structure safe and sound.
With a stud wall interior and insulation outside the sheathing you'd have a usable cabin while you decide how to do the inside. I'd probably still use f-glass batts, Im used to 'em.
Outside use a housewrap/rain wall with strapping to attach the 'siding' to. My recycled red barn boards didnt get put up until '84.
Others have done differently and ymmv.

Notes
# Posted: 25 Dec 2022 07:52

Roof and wall insulation.
roof.PNG
roof.PNG

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 25 Dec 2022 11:36

I believe I would Install ridgid insulation between the joists. Leave an air gap for ventilation, and put 1" of continuous ridgid insulation over everything. This will help with thermal insulation that can stop moisture from migrating through the wood. Can make ghost marks on the sheetrock Inside otherwise.
Sounds like you have a plan that fits your needs. Good luck n have fun

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.