Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin Costs YTD
DmAK12
# Posted: 29 Dec 2022 11:38 - Edited by: DmAK12

Hi Everyone,

Hope you had a merry christmas. In the spirit of other's sharing the costs of their projects, I thought I'd do the same.

I built a 20x24 home in a northern climate this summer. It is now dried in, insulated, and plumbing and electrical rough in's are nearly complete. The red costs are what I have paid so far.

The design is a monopitch roof with 16' front wall and 11' rear wall. 1 bathroom (no septic yet), half loft. R27 walls, R38 Floor, R55 Cold Roof. Metal roof and half of the siding is metal, the rest is lap siding.

The floor joists and siding are rough cut from a local mill.

No permits required at the site.

I started building when lumber prices had dropped a significant amount since their recent peak, but by no means were the costs as low as a few years ago.

Hope this is helpful!
costs_ytd.png
costs_ytd.png

snobdds
# Posted: 29 Dec 2022 13:31

I built a 22x34 and I am currently just finishing up the plumbing and electrical. No insulation yet.

Built in 2016, we only get 3 month building seasons and I am doing this with my now 71 year old dad. So were pacing ourselves.

I'm real close to 20k.

Once the interior is done and insulated, I will be real close to 30k.

Not bad in my book...

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Dec 2022 13:56

Guess those i-net features about 'build a cabin for $600' are kinda out of date.....lol.
Your numbers are enlightening, and sobering. I was recently reviewing our property tax bill for the cabin property and thinking our 10yr old 16x24 (prev owner build, but not the greatest), totally off grid and dry, was overvalued at $26k'ish.
About 5yr ago it probably was, but by todays 'replacement costs' it is likely close?
My '83-'84 build was 12x24 c/w 12x12 loft. I used as much recycled good barn wood as I had but had to buy cdx plywood decking sheathing and roof & roofing, boxcar siding for interior, etc. The incidentals also really add up! Iirc I had (surprise! way more than I expected then) about $5k out of pocket.
Id hate to have to start over now with our current 16x24 if it burned or blew down. And I'd probably have to rebuild to a higher standard than our grandfathered 'hunting/recreational' class, so Big money.

DmAK12
# Posted: 29 Dec 2022 14:17

Quoting: gcrank1
Your numbers are enlightening, and sobering.

I’d be very depressed if i paid this much for a cabin in the woods I’d make it out to maybe a few times a year! But this is going to be a permanent residence for my wife and I so I’m relatively happy with the result, although I can always wish it were a little cheaper.

I would agree that the age of tripling your profit from a build may be over.

Steve_S
# Posted: 30 Dec 2022 08:11

The valuations typically also account for LABOUR which is a significant cost on a build. If you did all the work yourself you are not charging yourself $X per hour per person.

I built my 20x24 Cabin and spent something around 50K just on the "house itself". Excavation work & Site Prep, drilling well, building pumphouse/powerhouse and the solar system are all extra on top. The ONLY External labour I had was the Slab Prep & Pour, Well Drilling and installation of my Cabin Roof (sheathing & tin work), and I did all the other labour on everything.

How many "man Hours" I spent, I can't measure that but it is more than if I had contractors do the work, mostly because I did my own millwork, designed & built my cabinetry from locally milled Pine and all the personal details & finishes.

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 Dec 2022 10:39

HaHa, just so Steve,
And I cant afford Me! At least by the hour. Im old, slow and more than a little OC.......
The rule of thumb I used to use was the labor doubled the cost over the materials. About 10yrs ago we had an est. for remodeling our bathroom (and I would have done much of the demo/clearing) and it was $18K!!!
I did it for about $3500 in materials (so dbl would have been $7K, NOT 20, and if they would have come in about that Id have paid em). Ive paid for some work since and what Ive learned about pricing is that my old rule doesnt work any more. It is more like take the cost of materials and triple it, at least around here.
The really sad part is that about anybody with a hammer can call themself a contractor, not show up when they say they will, maybe drag on finishing a project and I can do better work (just not fast).

Steve_S
# Posted: 30 Dec 2022 11:38

Yeah, I agree that double is short by at least 1/3 hahaha. X3 material Costs is about right for labour today and that is not "specialized" just general contractors building a standard stick famed, drywalled interior with basic exterior finishing.

When I say specialized, I think of custom cabinetry, specialized finishing (ceramic tile etc).

I milled my own baseboards (6") and double ogee casings (4") and various cove mouldings and other trims which are all pine... Of course none of it could be "store bought" because the profiles are unique and the sizes are just not available unless you really pay big for it. ALL of it was labour intensive and I am far from wealthy enough to pay someone to make it, or to buy a manufactured finished product.

Gotta admit it, I really love it when someone walks in and the jaws drop as they start noticing all the "wee details" and the unusal baseboards & trims, everyone picks up on that instantly. The kitchen is always a huge hit, and once the first cupboard door is open and they realize it's all 3/4" Pine with rough cut plank doors finished to high spec showing all the textures & colours.

Takes Time indeed and now that my health is recovering after such a nightmare in 2021/22 I have several projects to complete, others to start and more things to plan for as I am stuck on this rock for a few more years.

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 Dec 2022 17:38

I had some 'down' years too, though not as rough as yours; sure got me behind.....but no matter which way ya turn yer butt's behind ya.
The past two Ive picked up the pace a good bit and anxious to get back at it. This shut down for winter is such a waste of time!
We got a warm up and some melt down, I might be able to get into our place this next week and burn the slash pile. Wish I could redirect that heat into the cabin......
Im not one to pay happily for inferior work of any kind and Ive noticed when I hire out work they dont like me supervising.

FishHog
# Posted: 31 Dec 2022 08:16

Quoting: gcrank1
Im not one to pay happily for inferior work of any kind and Ive noticed when I hire out work they dont like me supervising.

I don't pay for anything that I can do myself, but I have found the trick when you do need to hire out is to get someone you can trust, and let them do their job. Or I offer to be a gofer and simply help were I can to keep costs down by adding labour and you can still keep an eye on things without "supervising". Just being there keeps people honest and stops corner cutting without looking over their shoulder all the time, which nobody likes.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.