Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Prefab garage and lean to
Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 3 Jan 2023 18:40

I am looking for thoughts and opinions on my idea. I need some more covered storage for tools and equipment and came up with the idea buying half of a 24x24 two bay prefab garage to be dropped on a gravel pad so that I am dried in immediately. This would leave me with 12x24 single bay that I would then build a matching 12x24 open lean to off the side for tractor implements. I spoke to the manufacture and they said the would have no issue customizing the single section for me.
30CBA822F68A422E8.jpeg
30CBA822F68A422E8.jpeg
A7878074878F4D9D8.jpeg
A7878074878F4D9D8.jpeg
18F31480D66D4BA1B.jpeg
18F31480D66D4BA1B.jpeg

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Jan 2023 06:14

What's the cost on buying that half? And I bet the lead time isnt shorter than 30days. Then your really looking at waiting another 30days and its prety much spring and you can build a proper building with a concrete floor.

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 4 Jan 2023 06:39

Quoting: Brettny
What's the cost on buying that half? And I bet the lead time isnt shorter than 30days. Then your really looking at waiting another 30days and its prety much spring and you can build a proper building with a concrete floor.

7500 for the half. Just as the weather improves enough to work outside I start to get slammed at work. I likely wouldn’t have time to build again until next fall. In the spring and summer I can usually only be to the cabin on weekends and it’s 4.5 hour drive to my place so it’s hard to make progress on a project like that by myself which is what I was thinking prefab.

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Jan 2023 08:53

Your place is in NY correct? Southern ADKs?

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 4 Jan 2023 10:25

Your place is in NY correct? Southern ADKs?

Rensselaer county on VT boarder.

gcrank1
# Posted: 4 Jan 2023 10:47

Its a good idea for whachawant
Fwiw, I was in the same situation at the cabin property of needing a workshop/toolshed structure and NO time.
This past summer we bought a prebuilt 10x16 mini-barn. I had all I could do to clear and prep the site and it was delivered and leveled in short order. Kinda pricey but I was able to accomplish a lot of work at the place that I couldnt have done if I was building the shed. The trade off of money vs time and being able to move ahead quickly was way good.

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 4 Jan 2023 14:54

The only problem of concern for me is that things move around from frost heave. I'd worry about the connection of the structures moving independently and problems related to that. I'm a firm believer in, if you are going to build start with a solid, sound foundation. It pays off in years to come. In this case, even if you just had independent Sonotubes filled with concrete below the frost line and at the same level to set things on, then you won't have the movement. I dunno, I just don't like setting things on the ground in an environment with freezing, winter weather. Down south, I'd do it, but not up north. I'm just a pessimist about that sort of thing.
I might be wrong. You might be right. It's worth thinking about.

Tim_Ohio

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Jan 2023 15:29

Quoting: Irrigation Guy
Rensselaer county on VT boarder

Taylor built structures may be able to help you. Either way theres a few shed places all over the southern adks

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 4 Jan 2023 15:52

Taylor built structures may be able to help you. Either way theres a few shed places all over the southern adks

Thanks, I’ll look them up

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.