Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Excess moisture in outhouse pit
Momma Jo
# Posted: 7 Jan 2023 10:09

Our outhouse pit was dry up until winter set in then condensation started building up in the building and somewhat in the pit. We vented the building and that took care of the condensation there but our pit has since continued to fill with water!
We do have the pit vented with a pipe from the pit out to the roof to take care of smells.
Does anyone have any suggestions for removing/preventing this moisture/water?

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 7 Jan 2023 11:08

Water table rising and contributing to content? Maybe move it to a higher location or build a mound to relocate it?

curious
# Posted: 7 Jan 2023 11:28

Has this privy been through a winter with you before? History and location might help.

Momma Jo
# Posted: 7 Jan 2023 15:36

No,Curious, this is our first winter with our pit outhouse. It is located on a fairly level piece of ground the has a slight slope off the back toward the woods. Water doesn't pool up around it and we have made sure that the drip edge goes away from the building, as well.

Our cabin has no water, Tim_Ohio, so I don't think it would be the water table. Our cabin and outhouse are built on top a hill that is pretty level on top, with a slight slope away from the outhouse out toward the woods in the back of the yard. I don't have a higher location to relocate to.

DaveBell
# Posted: 7 Jan 2023 16:04

Quoting: Momma Jo
our pit has since continued to fill with water

I would dig a test hole about four to six feet away on the downward slope to see if it also fills with water. You may have the pit near a spring. Post pictures please.

FishHog
# Posted: 7 Jan 2023 16:18

happens normally this time of year as the water table in the soil is replenished from the dry summer levels.
Unless your elevated and in very well draining soil, I don't think you need to worry about it.

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Jan 2023 16:20

How deep is the pit, below the ground frost line? If not it may be filling from use (just like a porta-potty) with an ice slug below.

Momma Jo
# Posted: 8 Jan 2023 15:07

Thank you for you responses. They are proving quite helpful. Our pit is 5ft. deep and has been dry so we are inclined to agree with Fishhog. We did have an abnormally dry spring, summer and fall and the water started showing up on those bitterly cold days of our early winter. We are in a well drained area where water does not pool so I’m going to just wait and see. If it should continue to be wet we will probably have to have a septic pump truck drain it for us.

Steve_S
# Posted: 8 Jan 2023 16:41

I would also strongly recommend a Urine Diverter for the toilet and even a Urinal and plumb the two to go out to a separate drain line to keep it out of the solids and not make any blackwater.

Redirected Urine can use a Grey Water type of containment & drainage which is quite simple in such an application.

BTW a side benefit of not allowing urine to mix with the solids, the smell is virtually eliminated.

Brettny
# Posted: 9 Jan 2023 10:48

What type of solid did you encounter when you dug the hole? Clay? Sand? Rock? Shale?

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 Jan 2023 12:38

Ah, yes...did you do a 'perk test'? Instructions are online.

Momma Jo
# Posted: 12 Jan 2023 17:29

We aren't sure on how to install a Urine Diverter on an outhouse that is completed. Not sure that would help our problem.

We only use the cabin one night on weekends and the outhouse is not normally used by the guys unless solid waste need to be deposited!

When digging the hole we had sandy dirt, that is common in West TN. Didn't notice any clay, rocks or shale.

Last but not least, we did not perk test before we dug the pit for the outhouse. We weren't installing any type of water feature so didn't even think about doing a perk.

Thanks again for you replies!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.