Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / How To Find Specialty Logs?
Lucidcryotank
# Posted: 15 Jan 2023 15:46

K I'll admit, I actually have some of what I THINK might be specialty logs, and I'm trying to find out where is a market for that. Not trying to sell anything here, just looking for info.

I have several large yellow pine trees I can't reach around. I grew up in southern Arkansas where most pine was sent to the paper mill, and they were cultivated. You don't see many this big around here (middle of the Ozarks). And you don't see paper mills, either. So pine isn't sought after or valued here, and there's no money in it locally. I'd like to harvest this pine, and simply can't believe that it's not worth anything. Are these larger pines something that cabin builders are interested in?

Brettny
# Posted: 17 Jan 2023 06:10

All logs are worth something. But typicaly by the time the logger picks it up, its milled and dried theres not much profit left in just a few trees for the land owner.

Same thing as black walnut around here. People think they have $1,000 in one tree. But no one picks up one tree and if they do there not going to pay that.

curious
# Posted: 17 Jan 2023 12:33

A tree that arms can't reach around will be too large for most small cabin builders to use.

IMO, the best that could be hoped for would be to find a more or less local guy with a portable sawmill who could go to you and saw it into whatever you want for your own use. That will still need some HD machinery to handle a log that is too big to arm reach around.

Lucidcryotank
# Posted: 17 Jan 2023 13:04

I wasn't sure if anybody building cabins ever used larger logs. Yes, you won't be doing much with them by hand only. I've found a guy that says he's developed a pine market network over time in the area. And he has log cabin builders for customers. We're going out to look next Friday. He does selective cutting. He may even write me a check in the field if he likes it.

NorthRick
# Posted: 18 Jan 2023 16:41

Are they straight? Any branches in the lower part of the tree? Straight grained wood with no knots is getting harder and harder to find.

if so, it would be best for something where aesthetics matter: furniture, cabinets, or tongue & groove boards for walls and ceilings.

You'll probably get better answers at the Arboristsite.com or Forestryforum.com

Lucidcryotank
# Posted: 18 Jan 2023 17:02 - Edited by: Lucidcryotank

No limbs or knots, but large diameter and TALL. Not for my cabin.

Lucidcryotank
# Posted: 18 Jan 2023 17:05

Sorry for any confusion, I have two active posts here. No knots or limbs, large diameter and tall.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.