Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Pellet Stove Log Cabin Vent
mark11
# Posted: 6 Feb 2023 14:43

Im looking to install a pellet stove and vent it directly through the logs (6" thick) as I dont want to go do roof since its metal.

Will drilling the 4" vent hole affect logs at all ?
How can it be sealed properly ?

Any other suggestions would help

MJH
# Posted: 6 Feb 2023 15:28

Look up a "wall thimble kit" for pellet/gas/ wood stoves.

Then post a lot of pictures because I may be doing something similar through logs in the future.

mark11
# Posted: 6 Feb 2023 16:06

Quoting: MJH
Look up a "wall thimble kit" for pellet/gas/ wood stoves.

Got it. But how would that flash with D shaped logs ? I feel like the square would just stick out

DaveBell
# Posted: 6 Feb 2023 19:05

I just googled log cabin wood stove vent. Have you? What did you find?

MJH
# Posted: 6 Feb 2023 20:34

I had not thought that far ahead (my logs are square), but possibly either use the kerf of a circular saw to cut a square to set it into (like some of the log home builders do for window flashing), or build a bit of a wooden box, use backer foam (like in this pic) and chinking "under it" and have the thimble rest in/on that.
dbacker.png
dbacker.png

Brettny
# Posted: 7 Feb 2023 10:30

If you go out through the wall just under the overhang of the roof you will have less issues with water getting in. I would use the circular saw kerf method like stated above.

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Feb 2023 10:41 - Edited by: gcrank1

What does the stove manufacturer say about through the wall regarding the effect on the drafting? Remember, the whole (hole, lol) idea is to get a good draft.

mark11
# Posted: 7 Feb 2023 11:45

Quoting: Brettny
If you go out through the wall just under the overhang of the roof you will have less issues with water getting in. I would use the circular saw kerf method like stated above.

Ah very good point. What about under a roof of the deck ?

Brettny
# Posted: 7 Feb 2023 15:48

Quoting: mark11
Ah very good point. What about under a roof of the deck ?

Idk if you can do that. You have to check the specs.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 8 Feb 2023 08:09

No it should be fine. The fresh air vent is just a 2" or so hole and has a rain guard for the top and screen for bugs n such.
The exhaust is 4" . The pipe kit should have a thimble for the wall. You can use a 4" hole saw. And scribe 3/4" piece of board to fill in any gaps.
Pretty easy n safe install. Any sealing can be done with fiberglass or rockwool Insulation. Very safe
We ran a pellet stove 10 plus years n so does son. Enjoy the small energy bills and a warm home.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.