Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / New guy here with some questions about SIP panel construction.
tiny
# Posted: 23 Apr 2023 00:15 - Edited by: tiny

First of all, I am truly impressed with some of the cabin builds if you can call them that. More like palaces. I would like to build my own cabin. I know a little about everything but a master of nothing. I want to build it myself. Over the years I have looked at many different building systems. ICF, steel building, SIP panels, etc. I recently looked at sip panels that have cam locks that fasten them together. Two sheets of osb with an inner core of closed cell foam. The 4 inch walls are R26 and the 6 inch are R40 rated. Would I be called a cheater if I used this system? After reading a couple of threads about cabin builds and how long it took, I think I would be honored to be called a cheater as long as I could do it from the inside of my warm and toasty cabin while you guys were out there pounding nails in the snow. I hope you know that I jest. What say you.

frankpaige
# Posted: 23 Apr 2023 09:15

Neophyte when it comes to the SIP panels and those cam locks. My first question would be about the strength of the walls with these connections?
Some might say my cabin size is small, 12x16. But those walls only took a day to fabricate. Another day to stand, secure and then install the outside OSB.
But I do tell everyone to enjoy the process as much as the end results.
What size cabin are you planning? What part of the states are you in? What is your foundation consist of?
Have fun.

tiny
# Posted: 23 Apr 2023 11:03

The properties I am looking at are in Northern California. Around Shasta, Trinity, Lassen counties to name a few. I am stuck here for the near future. It get down to the single digits sometimes in the winter and triple digits in the summer. Comfort is very important.

As far as strength, I am told that each cam lock is rated for 750#. There are 4 on each side of an 8 foot sheet. The foundation would be whatever code allows. Im leaning towards concrete piers. Size would be 12x16 up to 20x20. I am looking through floor plans trying to find something I like.

tiny
# Posted: 23 Apr 2023 11:04 - Edited by: tiny

Sorry, duplicate post.

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Apr 2023 09:49

If it's a 12x16 or even 16'wide and you want speed of build and are willing to pay for it I suggest you look into getting a shed dropped off. And not a big box store shed.

tiny
# Posted: 24 Apr 2023 10:41

@Brettny, I have looked at sheds in the past. I have been inside sheds in various stores. even went to a tuff shed store in Redding, CA. The prices are not that great went you consider that you are only getting the shell. you still need to do the insulation. At the factory I toured, They had a 10x10 they use for demo at shows. It had a thermometer on the inside and outside. I was told that the temp difference was 10* to 15* difference because a light bulb was heating up the inside. That day the light was not on but I know from personal experience how much insulation can make a difference. It is still early and that might be an option.

MJH
# Posted: 24 Apr 2023 16:36

Out of curiosity, have you priced this out? I thought about doing SIP floor and roof... until I got the quote.

And, FYI, winter is often times a much more enjoyable/peaceful time to build. I'll take banging nails in 0 degrees with snow falling over doing the same when it's 90 with mosquitos everywhere.

NorthRick
# Posted: 24 Apr 2023 19:19

Cheat all you want. I think you will find the cost to make you think otherwise.

Be careful if you use them for the roof in a wet environment. It can be done but needs to be done right.

Google Juneau SIP roof failure.

Good luck however you decide to proceed.

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Apr 2023 20:25 - Edited by: Brettny

Quoting: MJH
And, FYI, winter is often times a much more enjoyable/peaceful time to build. I'll take banging nails in 0 degrees with snow falling over doing the same when it's 90 with mosquitos everywhere

It's funny you mention that. The absolutely best time I have ever had doing a shingle roof was my garage one winter. I was shoveling the snow off the tarp and setting up lights after work. No heat stroke, no sun burn and no getting off the roof by 10am because is 120f.

July and August is just simple a no go season for me. To damn hot to work quickly and once I get going I like to keep going.

tiny
# Posted: 24 Apr 2023 21:12

I spoke with 2 people at a building department up north. I learned a couple of interesting things. If I build a residence regardless of size, I am required to install sprinklers (fire suppression not lawn) and solar. Those two things don't discourage me but the fact that they are making me sticks in my craw. If I am off grid, solar is a must. Sprinklers wont stop the cabin from burning in a wildfire which is a real concern in California. Need to figure that into the calcs.

@NorthRick, looking up what you said seems to be more of a workmanship issue. I can get the panels with Zip system sheathing from the factory. While my nickname is not tattooed on me I have been called overkill. I don't care what anyone calls me as long as its not late for dinner.

MJH
# Posted: 24 Apr 2023 21:32

Quoting: Brettny
It's funny you mention that. The absolutely best time I have ever had doing a shingle roof was my garage one winter. I was shoveling the snow off the tarp and setting up lights after work. No heat stroke, no sun burn and no getting off the roof by 10am because is 120f.

Exactly. I did mine last winter. Zero regrets.

What's that Bill Burr quote about the "hardest job?" Something to the effect of "nothing is more difficult than roofing in the middle of July as a redhead..."

tiny
# Posted: 24 Apr 2023 23:38

I tried looking through the forums to see if I could find a floor plan sub-forum. Is there one?

gcrank1
# Posted: 25 Apr 2023 08:24

We seem to have everything from bunkies to (imo) chateau's represented here; 'small cabin' means different things to different people.
Ive seen lots of floor plan and examples online, no shortage, but even with that I rarely see 'just what I want', lol.
Fwiw, our 1st cabin (built by my wife and me '83-'84 with a lot of recycled wood) was 12x24 with a 12x12 loft, 'Swiss Chalet' look. Loved it, it was ours and we did it, but over time that loft became less useful (hard to get up/down ladder access). Still 30+ yrs on it was great.
Our 'new' cabin (as of Aug. 2020) is 16x24, one big room. We can 'floorplan' change as we want; THAT is Great! And the size/shape change is also great for the two of us.
YMWV, lol, pers pref rules.

tiny
# Posted: 25 Apr 2023 11:48

I have looked at dozens of floor plans online. Some of them are really wacky. Maybe they are designed in countries that don't have bathrooms. Why would you have a bathroom that a guest would need to walk through your bedroom to go relieve themselves. Along with not being an expert of anything. I am not an architect. I will just keep looking at more examples online.

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Apr 2023 11:59

Make your own plans. I started with a tape measure and free floor plan creator app on my phone. I just got my plans approved and building permit granted last week for our 20x32' with stand up loft.

tiny
# Posted: 25 Apr 2023 12:36

What is the app called? I was about to start laying things out in the driveway. Putting my bed here, the couch over there, the computer on the other side. Your idea sounds easier.

gcrank1
# Posted: 25 Apr 2023 14:06

Ive always used a pad of paper, ruler and a pencil.

tiny
# Posted: 25 Apr 2023 16:58

Quoting: gcrank1
Ive always used a pad of paper, ruler and a pencil.

I tried finding that app. What is it called?

NorthRick
# Posted: 26 Apr 2023 12:25

Quoting: tiny
I tried finding that app. What is it called?

1/4 inch graph paper.

tiny
# Posted: 26 Apr 2023 15:46

Quoting: NorthRick
1/4 inch graph paper.

I tried looking that app up in the play store. No luck with that one either.

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Apr 2023 21:28

Floor plan creator.

kcroyster
# Posted: 17 Jun 2023 10:44

when you are designing floor plans, start out with a bubble diagram to establish where you want spaces to be and their adjacencies. Get yourself a pad of graph paper with 1/4" squares. After you do your bubble diagram you can use the graph paper to draw your floor plan to scale. Each square equals one foot so when you are complete you have a floor plan drawn to 1/4" scale. You can use these floorplans to project lines up to create building elevations and sections. This will allow you to analyze structure and volume of spaces. Really not hard at all.

Steve_S
# Posted: 17 Jun 2023 11:38

There are several SIP systems out there and the costs are pretty crazy (as in all over the place). I looked at various SIP options for my own build and after doing the math I got lucky and tapped into a resource for Commercial Foam Sheets. As a result, I built my own SIP Panels 8x8 which was indeed a PITA but saved a huge pile of cash, so it balanced out. Time is plenty while cash isn't.

Here is a link to a company (Canadian) but I believe they have US Distribution as well and it is a compromise with a +. This design method creates Thermally Broken Walls which is a Huge Bonus, especially in regions with high heat or cold. Essentially, the Thermal break prevents heat exchange between the interior & exterior which instantly affects your heating/cooling requirements.

https://structuralinsulatedpanels.com/

ICC
# Posted: 17 Jun 2023 14:40

Quoting: kcroyster
Get yourself a pad of graph paper with 1/4" squares

Yes that works. Ever try Sketchup? Easier to make changes.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.