Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Adding Interior Bathroom Shower Enclosure
medic149
# Posted: 23 Apr 2023 12:24

I have a 16x20 addition we added on to our 16x20 cabin. The walls are finished with shiplap and tongue and groove. Looking to add a 5x8 bathroom to include a shower enclosure.

Is it okay to attach the shower enclosure walls to the finished walls? Everything shows direct to stud, but I really don't want to demo the walls unless I absolutely have to. Was hoping to screw the enclosure walls directly to the exterior walls. Screweing into the studs and adding more screws to areas there are no studs.

The walls have spray foam insulation in them.

Thoughts??

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Apr 2023 08:00 - Edited by: gcrank1

Iirc, the shower is the 'stall' and the 'enclosure' is the doors.
When you say 'shower enclosure walls' I think stall.
Most installs will be in new construction so putting in walls to just cover with a shower stall is needless work/expense. It does allow the actual wall surface to meet up to the edge of the shower stall for transition.
The 'enclosure/doors' are likely to be specified to attach to studs for strength.
So, to your point, I wouldnt want to cut/tear out walls to put in a shower stall either......
The shiplap should be a good solid backer to the often flimsy shower stall walls and the enclosure attachment. When I redid our home b-room the one-piece shower stall called for the water resistant drywall behind.
For the transition on yours installed over the shiplap I could see a strip of wood trim.

jjmay77
# Posted: 28 Apr 2023 15:30

Depends on how you build your shower. Many tub/shower surrounds will have a nailing flange. Putting one of those over a finished wall is more of an aesthetics issue. There are many ways to build shower walls including corrugated steel etc. I would look at some ideas online.

spencerin
# Posted: 18 May 2023 00:07

I think you are fine to install the shower stall/enclosure onto the finished walls.....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.