Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Questions about blocks in middle of cabin
H375H
# Posted: 29 Apr 2023 03:06

I have a cabin roughly 600 sqft that was built in 1904 with a fieldstone foundation around the perimeter. There are a lot of issues such as rotten floor joists, rotten sill plate, loose/non-mortared rock, and supporting posts for the middle of the cabin dug directly into the ground. Because of that, the middle of the cabin is sagging.

I was going to try to put sono-tubes down the middle, but I live in WA state and the frost line is fairly deep. Also, that is super rocky soil. Would it be a mistake to just put concrete blocks under it instead? People tell me that I shouldn't worry about frost as much since it's in the middle of the house. They also said that it's been there for 120 years and the ground should be compacted/settled.

I'm also going to re-mortar the foundation perimeter. I also want to pour concrete on both sides of the south wall, since that is the worst. The wall is built directly on the rocks and the rocks are all loose. Now, if I add the floor joists to that newly poured concrete wall, will that cause issues? I'm thinking mostly about frost heaving causing that concrete to push up, separating the floor. I would add rebar to join the old, stone foundation with the new concrete wall but I don't know if I can dig below the frost line. The original floor joists were sitting directly on the bare rock and now they're all rotten.

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Apr 2023 16:36

Oh my....there is a lot going on down there , all involving a lot of awkward, heavy bullwork.
Im no expert, but have been involved in some small building 'adjustments'. Imo, all the failing structural wood needs to be replaced, so Im think it needs to be jacked, cribbed, old bad wood pulled and replaced, proper concrete foundation (not just mortar patch) and reset the building.
Keep in mind that reason you are seeing rot under there is because water has been getting to those places from somewhere. That has to stop.
The center should have supports, the span tables are the min. more is better if the joists are the min.

Brettny
# Posted: 30 Apr 2023 06:36

120yrs old and from what it sounds like everything structural is failing..I would tear it down, sell it or just leave it and build on another spot.

I did the renovation thing on my current 90yr old house. I did all the work my self and never again. I would rather start with nothing.

ICC
# Posted: 30 Apr 2023 08:30

Quoting: H375H
There are a lot of issues such as rotten floor joists, rotten sill plate, loose/non-mortared rock, and supporting posts for the middle of the cabin dug directly into the ground.

And those are the visible problems. Build something new.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.