Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / New windows, what “type”?
Yo yo
# Posted: 1 May 2023 23:43

Hi there. Our cabin is wood framed, and sheeted with what Americans call t-100.

Windows are wood , brickmold frame, caulked, and nailed into the wall.

Because the cabin is on a pad and post foundation, the windows gradually become out of square and bind as the cabin shifts.

Windows are removed, and re installed every now and then as needed.

We would like to wrap the cabin in tyvek (or equivalent ) and new windows (pvc) as well as vynal siding.

Just wondering what “type” of windows to buy?

We need something removable, but will allow vinal siding.

We can’t use a nailing flange type window as that would mean removing siding to re instal the window.

So, I’m thinking of something we can remove and instal from the inside of the cabin.

Any ideas?

Brettny
# Posted: 2 May 2023 08:46

Fix the foundation first.

If you need to remove and reinstall your windows every few years your vinyl siding is going to look terrible also.

Nate R
# Posted: 2 May 2023 08:50

Yep, you need to stop the movement before you can do much else...

Yo yo
# Posted: 2 May 2023 09:35

The foundation is pad and post. There is nothing to fix. It just shifts.

I’m looking for windows that will accommodate easy reinstalation. (Think log cabin).

I don’t care how anything looks. It just needs to work.

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 May 2023 11:07

Sounds like you need a 'floating' window rough framing so the building can move around the windows.

Yo yo
# Posted: 2 May 2023 13:57

Is there such a thing? What do log cabin guys,do to allow for shrinking of wood?

I’m ok with re installing the window. I’m thinking something that can be screwed into the window frame, into the studs (inside of window frame) and then pull the window straight out and not disturb siding.

Brettny
# Posted: 2 May 2023 19:29

I would use a retro fit style and build them in a box with jams on each side to allow for movement. You will need to cawlk them and if they move that will crack allowing water in.

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 May 2023 21:14

I think that is what is called here 'replacement windows'; made to fit existing window frames after you tear out the windows part. Makes it easier for remodeling if you arent residing c/w trim and window casings inside.
Maybe if made about 1" smaller in width and height some f-glass insulation (rather than rigid insul) and some wood trim just touching would carry the window enough and still allow some movement?

NorthRick
# Posted: 3 May 2023 17:18

Quoting: Yo yo
The foundation is pad and post. There is nothing to fix. It just shifts.

Sure there is something to fix. Get your self a long level and a couple of bottle jacks. Lift the low points with the jacks and place shims at the top of the post until the cabin is level again. Windows should work again.

DmAK12
# Posted: 3 May 2023 19:35 - Edited by: DmAK12

Sounds like the problem isn’t the shifting foundation, but that there is differential movement happening and your beams or whatever is under the floor isn’t designed to move as a unit.

Something to think aboutcould be addressing drainage issues you may have at your site to reduce the seasonal freezing. Keep the ground under the foundation dry and it won’t move.

For the windows, I’ve heard of soft foam being used around the jams to allow for framing settling. But if there is shifting more than that happening seasonally I’m not sure there is much more that can be done. Possibly Frame around the windows with angle iron inset into the wood to make it more rigid?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.