Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Looking for pump house ideas/suggestions
WILL1E
# Posted: 4 May 2023 15:02

As you may recall, i put in a sand point well last year at the cabin and installed a pitcher pump on it. I bought an electric shallow well pump from Harbor Freight last year, but never got around to it. So that'll be one of my first spring projects this year.

Now i've installed a pump like that in the past and basically i put the pump on a T so that i could run a hose from the pump to a camper, but still have access to the pitcher pump for filling buckets of water for whatever. I'm on the fence about doing this again. The only real reason i could see keeping this pitcher pump on is for potential winter use.

Last time i did install a large house filter between the incoming water and the electric pump to catch the large particulates to prolong the life of the pump. I plan to do that again as that seemed like cheap and simple insurance for the pump life.

I know i'd like to build a little pump house around everything to protect mainly the electrical pump. But what i'm looking from ya'll is any suggestions, opinions, past experiences, etc. on things i should consider when building the pump house as well as how i should setup the plumbing? By "setup the plumbing" i mean, do you wish you would've added more than 1 spigot on the pump house, or wish you added a light inside of it, things like that.

FYI, the well is about 20-30ft from the cabin (green bucket in photo). My plan for bringing water into the cabin was to plumb the cabin like a camper and then run a hose to it from the well pump. This way i can drain things easily in the winter time.

Brettny
# Posted: 4 May 2023 15:41

Why not put the pump at the cabin and just run the water line from the well? No pump house needed then.

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 7 May 2023 10:54

Dont put a filter before the pump. If it clogs and you don’t notice it will starve the pump and burn up.

WILL1E
# Posted: 8 May 2023 09:13

Really...what's the chances one of those big all house filters would clog without me noticing it?

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 8 May 2023 14:30

Quoting: WILL1E
Really...what's the chances one of those big all house filters would clog without me noticing it?

Not sure what the chances are but I know that I work on 100’s of wells and pumps and the filter is always after the pump and pressure switch.

WILL1E
# Posted: 9 May 2023 11:17

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback!

WILL1E
# Posted: 15 May 2023 07:53

Anyone ever use one of those small resin/plastic storage units (roughly 4'x2'x3' tall flip top) as a pump house? Was thinking that would be quick and easy and being all plastic i wouldn't have to worry if there were any leaks.

My original thought was to either do a slab or gravel base and then stick frame something over it, but considering other options now.

Brettny
# Posted: 15 May 2023 08:11

I did. They are prety expensive vs some PT lumber and metal sheathing.

spencerin
# Posted: 18 May 2023 00:13

How deep does your well go? And what's your water demand going to be?

WILL1E
# Posted: 11 Apr 2024 11:34

Looks like i never followed up with what i ended up doing for this project. Ordered a resin shelter kit from Amazon and installed it only a pressure treated timber frame to get it level and off the ground a bit. Works well for eliminating the eyesore of the pump, protects the pump and helps cut the sound down a bit for when the pump runs.

WILL1E
# Posted: 11 Apr 2024 11:36

Photos
IMG_7821.jpeg
IMG_7821.jpeg
IMG_7820.jpeg
IMG_7820.jpeg
IMG_7818.jpeg
IMG_7818.jpeg

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Apr 2024 19:46

jsahara24
# Posted: 12 Apr 2024 09:29

Looks nice and clean...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.