Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Siding for your house
DaveBell
# Posted: 24 May 2023 18:29

Well maybe a cabineer can help me out. I have vinyl siding on the home 20, house. It needs to be replaced. I see the guy across the street replace his vinyl every 10 years. I need to do something better because labor costs go up over time. So i am looking at Hardy-siding. Salesman says about $54K. Ouch! I spent $50K on landscaping, $14K on Pella front door and rear slider. I am very happy with those. But 54k for cement-fiber siding? The house is a 4 level, split level but basically a one story and attic worth of siding. Second salesman says awww you don't want that, here, fiberglass siding 24K. Looked at many youtube videos already. Saw the SmartSide which is wood fiber OSB type with wax in he mix on Youtube. So I kind of don't know which way to go. Thanks guys! Dave

frankpaige
# Posted: 24 May 2023 18:36 - Edited by: frankpaige

Are they going to roll you out of the house on a gurney? Or? Are going to sell?
It does sound like you have done a bit of improvements. And what would be the increased value on fiber vs fiberglass?
Your correct. A little bit of cheeking occurred.

DaveBell
# Posted: 24 May 2023 19:19

Frank, The house mortgage is paid off and the VA hospital is only 1 hour away, and VA clinic only 20 minutes away. So selling is not a choice at the current time. I have another analysis to do and will share next week. (I got cabin fever bad and need to get the hell outta dodge and go play with the backhoe and dozer) For the near term, has anyone been at this decision point? Thanks!

Brettny
# Posted: 24 May 2023 19:49

Why does someone change there vinyl siding every 10yrs? In on at least 11yrs on mine. I installed it my self. I can tell you that if you dont have a siding brake or think you dont need one you do or your walls will be rotting behind the siding.

Any new product like OSB siding and siding that heavily relies on cawlk can fail.

Siding can be $200+ a box and coil stock is $150+ a roll so vinly siding can get expensive quick. I would expect it would cost me 2x what the materials cost me to do my house in 2012.

Siding is one of those jobs that's all about the setup/layout yet goes quick once you get going and is very gratifying to see going up.

Why does the siding need to be replaced? Unless your siding is very very bad or your looking to sell shortly after you do it I just dont see a $54k siding job adding $54k of value to a home.

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 May 2023 20:14

Return on Investment calc time.
At a certain age (you, not the siding) this becomes a purely business proposition, imo.
Fwiw, our dark green vinyl siding is at least 20yo and still looks good, even on the sunny (the side that will fade) side. We are in our 70's and I don't see us replacing it before we are done, no way would the resale cover the cost and it would likely be the wrong color anyway.....
That said, my sister and bil paid $24ishK for a fancy deck because all the other houses in their 'hood had em. When they sold a couple years later they said they recouped the money, so that worked out for them.

DaveBell
# Posted: 24 May 2023 20:18

Brett, It's warped and faded and it looks el-cheapo. I'm not concerned on ROI. I enjoy the landscaping and the doors. Hands on kinda thing. Pella slider with blinds between the glass, totally rocks. So something better than vinyl but what?

DaveBell
# Posted: 24 May 2023 20:29

Quoting: gcrank1
likely be the wrong color anyway

I hear ya. When I renovated the three bathrooms, I gutted them down to the studs. Told the contractor design guy I wanted neutral color. So the hall bath is gray tile on tub/shower walls and floor, and white on ceiling and drywall, roman bath looking. Color can be added with towels and floor mats. Resale thinking. The master bath is light tan walls and white ceiling. Your color may not be someone else's color. When you see vinyl, it looks like vinyl. Cheap looking.

Brettny
# Posted: 24 May 2023 20:37

Quoting: DaveBell
When you see vinyl, it looks like vinyl. Cheap looking

Not totally true. They make board and batten look vinyl siding along with shake looking vinyl siding. But if the $54k was for standard stuff I would expect a 10-20% increase.

I have family that has basicly s raised ranch and did vertical board and batten vinyl siding, new windows/doors and stone on the lower half, it's a walk out for all but the front. 5br 3 bath with 2 car garage. She paid less than $50k. Maybe it pays to shop around.

They also make board and batten looking metal siding

ICC
# Posted: 24 May 2023 22:08 - Edited by: ICC

I am puzzled by the huge difference in price between the cement fiber and the fiberglass. I must interject here the fact that I have not had any hands-on experience with the fiberglass siding but had installed countless squares of Hardie cement fiber lap siding. I looked into f-g 6 or 7 years ago and liked what I saw. At that time there was only 1 manufacturer, Apex. They did not have any dealers in the SW so that never went anywhere. I liked the lighter weight, that it was stronger and would be easier to handle. Plus they had 16-foot lengths while Hardie came in 12-foot lengths. so few butt joints probably. And the Apex f-g product did not require caulking. But it cost more than Hardie cement fiber and because no caulk was used the joints needed more precise cutting. The Apex f-g had a selection of colors and was not just a surface coating.

So I wonder if these two quotes include all the same detailing, the removal and hauling away of the old, etc.

Out of all the siding types I have worked with I do like the Hardie c-f best but that is also because being in a wildfire-prone western area I really like the fire resistance. IIRC, the Apex f-g also did not burn.

Maybe there are more manufacturers now and that has lowered the price of the f-g? The parent company of Apex has made fiberglass doors and windows for a long time. Very good and a bit upscale

travellerw
# Posted: 24 May 2023 23:10

%90 of houses here are Vinyl and last longer than 10 years. Heck, the first house I bought at 20 we still drive by. Original Vinyl that still looks excellent (28 years old now). The sun is not super strong here, but still.

There is also a difference in Vinyl. Cheap stuff fades and oxidizes faster, but shouldn't buckle. Buckling in an install problem. Also darker colors have a shorter life.

I love the idea of fiber cement but am with Brett.. I don't like siding installed right over sheathing. I also don't like stuff that requires sealant at seams. It will fail and become a maintenance item.

snobdds
# Posted: 25 May 2023 11:22

I did cement siding at my cabin, mainly to satisfy the insurance and FS requirement for fire rating.

I think I paid around 4k for a pallet of the stuff and still have half of it left. I too don't like calking field seams, but there is no need to. I just used black tar paper cut into little squares to provide "flashing" under the seams. Water is directed over the top of the next row of siding.

I installed it all myself, but there is no way it was worth 50k to do. That guy has over 30k of profit baked in. Don't pay that. I swear, things contractors are bidding these days is crazy.

On a side note, my mom wanted to remodel a basement bathroom. Nothing fancy, just updated with all new tub, vanity etc. One guy comes in at 38K. I couldn't help but laugh at him.

Steve_S
# Posted: 26 May 2023 05:37

As Snobdds says, contractors of all varieties have gone nuts on pricing ... ermmmmm gouging. so definitely get more than 3 quotes IF you can't do it yourself...

I've had homes with Vinyl Siding that lasted over 20 years without issues, beyond that I dunno as I sold up I have installed it on several occasions and there is certainly quality differences to watch for and as some mentioned, some colours can and will fade...

A New Trend I have noticed starting up here.
People have started installing Stone/Rock Veneers from grade level up to about 4' and transitioning to another siding. What seems more common is that folks are installing a Board & Batten style siding on the upper sections. A couple of have Log Siding which looks really amazing with a fieldstone base on the bottom.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 May 2023 08:09 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I like the cement, doesnt burn and they flash the joints, using the smaller lap panels is easier to deal with vs the T1-11 panels. Doest expand or shrink much, good flexible caulking at the end joints and you should be golden. Each joint in the run uses a special piece of flashing behind it. It comes primed, paint adheres well. Cutting it can be messy, diamond blade and respirator.

I helped a buddy reside his entire 2 story home back in early 90's with hardie siding panels, we used a makita coil nailer (a must have) as going to deep, its like sheetrock, looses is strength.

The stuff we got had the extra line on the top, so we just aligned the next panel with it.

I have it on all 3 gable ends of my home I live in.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 26 May 2023 09:45

We just purchased new Alure fiber cement siding for new house. It was really not that much more expensive than any other. Near 20% or so. For our 28x40 ranch style was 3,800$.
This included a dozen tubes of the correct caulk and delivery. I believe that is reasonable price for this siding.

DaveBell
# Posted: 11 Aug 2023 08:00 - Edited by: DaveBell

Driveway full of material. Install starts Monday. I talked to my neighbor who had his vinyl siding replaced (seems like he does it every 10 years) and he said he paid $11K. I am paying $30K for the Hardi board fiber cement because I don't ever want to do it again.

In ten more years he will pay $14K, and and another ten years, $18K, and still have a fire hazard. So cost benefit analysis, we will be at the same cost expenditure in about 14 years. Includes new 6" leaf guard type gutters.

My other neighbor has T-111, on a lot full of monster oak trees. He just repainted it from Forrest Service brown to Forrest Service brown with a little red tint. Looks real good.

So I know you guys think and so do I, that $30K is too much but Hardi has a dealer network you have to go with it you want their product. Very little competition. I did negotiate it down from $34K like everything else they start high and have room to come back a little if they want the work.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 13 Aug 2023 12:49

Sounds like ya did did good pardner

DaveBell
# Posted: 31 Aug 2023 17:00

No more Blue house.
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.