Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Mice proofing when doing Exterior Insulation on Roof?
cabinnewbie
# Posted: 3 Jun 2023 21:21

Hey all,
Newbie cabin builder here. I started my build last fall and put it on hold for the winter and back at it again. I'm in New England.

Got my windows installed last week and now moving towards insulating/roof/siding.

I'm working on insulating and installing the metal roof on my cabin. I'm doing exterior insulation on the roof and walls.

I have a 2x4 box screwed into the rafters. I positioned the box so it matches the cabin and not the overhangs. But maybe I should have boxed the entire roof instead? Seemed wasteful to insulate the entire top including the overhang areas...

Going to put polyiso within the box and then metal roof on top of the whole roof.

I also have a single pitch roof.

One aspect I'm confused is how to miceproof though?

I've seen youtube videos of people putting up similar setup with polyiso + 2x4 frame on top + metal roof but confused about how they're protecting the space between the metal roof and polyiso from rodents?

Also, I would have spacing along the eave, rake, and ridge and imagine things nesting there.[img=null]null[/img]

Attached a photo of the box of the roof here too.

https://imgur.com/EPorJne

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Jun 2023 21:33

I believe they build up the roof to the top of the insulation layer with stacked 2x material laying flat.

I can't specify tell you how to mouse proof a building as all mine also have mice but I'm also planing on always thinking about rodent intrusion. I'm in NY.

gcrank1
# Posted: 4 Jun 2023 19:36

Imo, unless maybe you encapsulate the entire structure with fine grid expanded metal mesh there is no mouse 'proofing'.
Those critters make their living getting into stuff.

jsahara24
# Posted: 5 Jun 2023 08:09

Quoting: gcrank1
Imo, unless maybe you encapsulate the entire structure with fine grid expanded metal mesh there is no mouse 'proofing'.
Those critters make their living getting into stuff.

I agree, my parents are on a mice elimination journey but I keep telling them I think its almost impossible.....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.