Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Tin Nail-up Ceiling
Grizzlyman
# Posted: 7 Jun 2023 10:40 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

Place is coming along nicely. Almost entirely done with the cabin. See kitchen below. dimensions of kitchen are 10X11 and bedroom next to it are 10X11 as well.

W hadn't originally planned it, but were thinking of doing a nail-up tin ceiling in the kitchen and bedroom- Probably copper or shiny bronze. Anyone work with these before? Tiles are 24"X 24" tin.

I did a little research on installation. Nails are recommended every 6" around perimeter. and it looks like there are two recommended options:

1. Plywood over ceiling joists, then nail to plywood.
2. Furring strips every 6" over joists.

I don't really feel like hauling 10 sheets of 1/2" plywood across lake and up the stairs to the cabin. and of course installation on ceiling would be a pain as well.

I had also finished the trim around the top of the walls already, so covering a 1/2" of that would look a little off.

Furring strips seem like an inferior option and would lose the space as well...

I thought of a 3rd installation method that doesn't lose any ceiling space.

I would install 2X4s in between in the current joists. This means I'll have every 8" on center for the tiles. I would use 12' 2X4's so I could support right on the top plate of the load bearing middle wall. See photo below- Red in photo would be the 2X4's I would insert. I would block them horizontally as well against the existing joists.

This would force my nails to be every 8" instead of 6" on the tile perimeter- which is the only problem I'd see... That and possibly some waviness from the joists & 2X4's not being perfectly flush...ostensibly plywood would help smooth that out.

Whaddya think? Is option 3 a good option? Or do I need to bite the bullet with plywood.
AF6D8C85FF8849338.jpeg
AF6D8C85FF8849338.jpeg
ceiling_tile.png
ceiling_tile.png
Kitchen_w_2x4.png
Kitchen_w_2x4.png
kitcheninside.png
kitcheninside.png

pabear89
# Posted: 7 Jun 2023 12:12 - Edited by: pabear89

For ease of installing the tin work, I would do the work hauling up plywood for the ceiling base. no worries on where your going to be nailing the tin up.

p.s. You could use 1/4 in plywood for lighter weight to carry up to cabin.

ICC
# Posted: 7 Jun 2023 15:03

I would be concerned with the alignment of the unsupported edgesb during and after installation.

Not sure if 1/4" would be a good base to nail to.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 7 Jun 2023 22:32

ICC

Was thinking the same thing about the edges…. But also wonder that if furring strips work- I think this would be the same thing. Only difference would be 4 nails on the unsupported side vs 5. Never worked with it so I don’t know.

ICC
# Posted: 7 Jun 2023 23:01

Quoting: Grizzlyman
Never worked with it

Same here....

Brettny
# Posted: 8 Jun 2023 06:09

Dont they make stick up pannels like this? I believe there used as kitchen back splashes alot. Some are plastic I believe but you wouldnt know looking at them.

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 8 Jun 2023 07:34

I believe the stick up are plastic… but that would definitely require plywood or maybe drywall… a sheet of some sort.

gcrank1
# Posted: 8 Jun 2023 07:57

Think they might work well (and be far cheaper than the stamped metal) on 1/4" luan underlayment up top.

Cedar Fever
# Posted: 8 Jun 2023 13:39

This is a cool idea for a cabin.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.