Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Screw Pile - Joist options
TF1
# Posted: 28 Jun 2023 16:58

Hello All,

I've been reviewing posts for a while now and finally I'm in the early stages of building. Build is 24x32 on piles ( I know not that small....). Three rows of 3ply 2x10 girders, 24" above grade. I'm stuck between laying the joists on top, or connecting between the girders with hangers. My main concern with running them on top is that the joists are also 2x10 so I'll have 18.5 inches of wood exposed before the walls. I was planning on extending OSB to cover the rim joist, but that still leaves the girders exposed. It could also look weird... I should mention that installation of the piles will not inset, so no cantilever.

My concern with running hangers between is that there is no "beam" under any joists. That shouldn't be an issue on the outside as the load is directly on top of them, but I'm not so sure about the middle.

Thanks

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Jun 2023 19:59

12' would be your span of the floor joists? That seams like to much to me. How many screw piles are you planing on useing for the 32' girder?

I just did 12in sono tubes for a 20x32'. Tubes go down to below frost up to a tripled 2x12 pressure treated girder. Sitting on that is 20' 2x10 for floor joists. The floor is very solid and I have no bracing under the cabin. The girders hanging below the siding dosnt look odd to me but you can always skirt the foundation. I dont plan on skirting mine.
20230616_185420.jpg
20230616_185420.jpg

TF1
# Posted: 29 Jun 2023 06:52

Thanks,

Your setup looks great, and definitely doesn’t look odd. Are your beams set in a few inches? I had mine setup to be right at the end to carry the full load. Inset for weather protection and skirting does look better though.

The plan was to have a pile every 8ft. That said, it’s all with the pile engineer and he may make adjustments. Given I’ll be using 2x10 joist #2 grade they should be able to span 14ft. I also planned on blocking at 6ft on both sides. I could bump up to 2x12 I’m really not sold sold one way or the other, I just thought I had enough coverage.

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Jun 2023 09:00

My 12in sono tubes are pulled in from each wall by 12in. Making the beam and floor joist hang out by 6in. My girder goes all the way out to support the last floor joist.

I wouldnt span 14' in any floor with even 2x12. You need to come up with a plan so the breaks in your girder are over a screw pile. Useing 16' and 8' lumber and putting piles every 8' should accomplish this.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.