Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / board an batten on sheathing no blocking?
cvinvt
# Posted: 22 Jul 2023 15:46

A local Builder is offering his $ervices to install our siding.

His intention is to use stainless ring nails for the 10" or 12" wide shiplap boards and nail directly to the 1/2" Advantech.

There is a WRB on the Advantech...HydroGap.

I asked him about blocking inside for the boards to be nailed to...he says it's not necessary with ring nails.

Once the vertical shiplap is up, he would nail battens over the seams.

Anyone agree with him that no blocking is needed?

Am I being a Nervous Nellie?

Brettny
# Posted: 22 Jul 2023 15:51

Personaly no matter what's behind board and batten I would use 2x horizontal boards every 16-24in to nail to. Attach those horizontal 2x boards to the studs. I would also make sure a board was at the very top and very bottom to act like a rodent blocker.

I hate hearing mice at night crawling around the walls.

cvinvt
# Posted: 22 Jul 2023 16:06 - Edited by: cvinvt

Would stainless screws into the sheathing without 2x blocking be sufficient perhaps?

Though I don't feel he would do that... He just wants to use his nail gun I'm pretty sure.

He said for extra he would Horizonal Strap the exterior.

Isn't that going to push our siding out though?

Would the straps stop the water (when some no doubts get in there) from draining as it would get to the horizontal strap and stop?

Brettny
# Posted: 22 Jul 2023 19:37

Nails just dont hold very well into 1/2in plywood. Even screws not into studs can pull out.

I would use hot dipped galvanized ring shank nails for the strapping and siding.

Strapping could block rain from getting out of the back side yes but putting it on plywood isnt going to be any better. I would think it would actualy be worse.

cvinvt
# Posted: 22 Jul 2023 19:44

Appreciate your input Brettny...

Would you say 2x blocking between studs on the inside to nail to? Stainless steel nails?

I'm concerned about horizonal strapping on the outside. Maybe I shouldn't be?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.