Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin 2.0 construction underway(-ish)
Cowracer
# Posted: 25 Jul 2023 16:38 - Edited by: Cowracer

Hello all! It's been a while since I've posted here, but I figured it's time to come back.

A refresher: I built a cabin at my lake lot, and loved it. But I had a change to buy rare, on-the-water lots at a price I couldn't say no to. That meant I had to sell the cabin and lots for the money to buy the new lots. I regret that decision with all my heart, but what's done is done. Onwards and upwards.

We've had our camper on the new lots for a couple years now, with the intent on building another cabin. We had the basic idea on what we wanted to do, but with a health crisis I had, a job change, and one thing or another, we never started construction. The time is finally right so here we go.

Our lakefront lot is not a prime piece of real-estate. Its oddly shaped and sloped. Prior owner terraced it off some with a hideous retaining wall, and built a giant 'carport' to put his camper under. Nothing about it is ideal, but we can work with it. The carport is very well built and I am going to build a cabin and garage (for keeping our side-by-side in) out of it.

Why the roof is two-level, I'll never know. Its 48x18. The posts are on 8' centers, so there are 6 "bays" in it. The first two bays are going to be a 16x18 garage, the other 4 are going to be the cabin. For tax and other reasons, it's going to be very utilitarian on the outside. It'll just look like a covered pole barn.

The construction that finally started is, I just bought and delivered the purlins that will let me skin the garage in. I need to get it done first, so I have a place to keep tools and whatnot. It's just going to be a gravel floor with no insulation or windows. Just a roll up door on the end (left side in photo). A temporary wall under the roof will enclosed that end until I get the cabin framed in. So while I haven't swung a hammer yet, I still did something, right? I'm just delighted that I am in physical shape to start working on it now. The money for it has been sitting in my brokerage account in a low risk mutual fund since I sold off some company stock last year.

As with the last cabin, I will document it step by step and drag you guys along with me.

Tim

spencerin
# Posted: 30 Jul 2023 09:49 - Edited by: spencerin

Looking forward to seeing the progress. Nice that you have a roof and pole-barn style foundation already in place. Have you checked to roof for leaks yet?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.