Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Is this a sound design?
jerejere
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 09:57

Hi all,
I really appreciate this resource and have used it to answer many a beginner question. I’ve started building an 8x12 cabin on fairly wet clay in upstate NY.

We have:
2x8 PT rim joists, 2x6 PT joists, notched PT 6x6 posts on adjustable deck supports on 12x12 deck blocks on top of 4-6” of packed gravel.

I found a drawing of a cabin that I liked and was going to use this design. I wanted to get a second opinion about whether it looks like a good design. The issue that came to my mind is that one end of the shed roof’s rafters will rest on top of a half wall (approx 2.5’ high) that in turn rests about 18” from the end of the two side walls at the front of the cabin. I was planning to use a 2x6 or 2x8 beam (two 2x6s sandwiched over 1/2” ply) to support the top and bottom of the half wall and then also full length studs directly underneath the half wall on the two side walls.

Sidenote: I won’t be installing the 6’ sliding glass door in the front wall, just a standard door and small window.

A more conservative approach might be to just forget the little notch/half wall in the front wall (which is really only there for visual interest) and build the front wall straight up to the desired height so that the weight of the roof is more evenly distributed across the front of the cabin and foundation.

I’ve included a picture of the drawing/design I found as well as a screenshot of a cabin I saw on this forum that has the straight front wall (sorry that I can’t remember which member posted it).

I like both designs but have a slight preference for the “notched“ front wall if it isn’t going to create a lot of other problems.

Thank you for any advice!
Notched front wall
Notched front wall
Straight front wall
Straight front wall

gcrank1
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 10:15

Welcome!
Imo, dont go to the trouble and expense for things like 'visual interest', do what is practical and useful space, especially in a small build.

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 10:22

The notched wall will make an issue unless you have a beam running the full 8' width that properly supported down to the foundation.

Speaking of the foundation by useing vertical 6x6 posts and post bases you now need to brace all those 6x6 posts no matter how tall or short they are. You can use doubled up or tripled up pressure treated 2x directly on the blocks and avoid bracing. In the end it may be cheaper, definitely easier and for sure stronger.

jerejere
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 15:51

Thank you both for the replies. Yes, I think I’ll skip the notched wall.

As far as the girders, the ground on one side of the foundation is about 10-12 inches lower than the other side. Can I set the girders on top of 6x6 posts to make it level? Or what is the recommended method?

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Jul 2023 18:31

Quoting: jerejere
Or what is the recommended method

More concrete blocks. This is what my 10x14 temporary cabin and permanent shed has been sitting on for 4yrs in central NY.

In fact I would suggest bringing up the high side by a block so the snow isnt against it all the time and also allows for it to dry under it.

jerejere
# Posted: 2 Aug 2023 09:54

Ok, that makes sense.

Another question that occurred to me about the design I’m using:
The rafters run perpendicular to the joists. I have 8’ 2x8 joists running the length of the 12’ sides. But I wanted to have a shed roof with the high side above one of the 8’ walls—so the design has the rafters resting on the top plate of the 8’ wide shorter wall. Do I need a beam under the floor (or across the wall) to carry the weight from the rafters down to the footings since there aren’t joists running perpendicular to that wall and the rafters or is there another way?

jerejere
# Posted: 2 Aug 2023 11:28

I should add that I currently have footings at the 4 corners and in the middle of the 12’ long sides. I am hoping to not have to add additional footings on either of the short sides, but maybe I’ll need them if it isn’t correct to use a beam to support the roof and run the beam to the corners without center support on the short sides.

Thank you for any advice.

ICC
# Posted: 2 Aug 2023 18:14 - Edited by: ICC

You are trying to do things the hard way. There are reasons why rafters and floor joists usually run parallel to each other.

What is your snow load? PSF.

Also, when you say "2x8 PT rim joists, 2x6 PT joists, notched PT 6x6 posts" how exactly is that configured? Diagrams or photos would help understand.

jerejere
# Posted: 2 Aug 2023 22:48

Yeah, I was hoping someone would tell me what I want to hear!

But thanks for the honest talk, I will keep it simple. The shed roof will run on the long sides, with the rafters parallel to the joists (or I’ll do a gable roof oriented similarly).

jerejere
# Posted: 2 Aug 2023 22:50

And I’m changing the 6x6 posts out for concrete blocks and girders…wish I had come here sooner instead of a cutesy book about tiny homes (and YouTube of course).

gcrank1
# Posted: 3 Aug 2023 10:30

Yer on track now!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.