Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Ant Problems with Exterior Foam Insulation?
cabinnewbie
# Posted: 5 Aug 2023 19:11 - Edited by: cabinnewbie

Hmm, so I'm in year 2 of cabin building. I can finally see the finish line and excited to be done and actually enjoy living inside my cabin.

But, now I'm worried.

It's on 6 concrete piers. I have polyiso and eps insulation installed on the exterior of my walls and roof. Finishing the fourth wall now.

But I started noticing just a few ants inside the cabin. Haven't seen any mice or ants up to now. I did some research. Seems like ants love foam insulation?

Weird because I had a bunch of insulation outside only covered on top through the winter and they were completely fine.

Currently the insulation is exposed besides the metal roof/siding over it, I was just going to put a metal rain screen mesh to block rodents but never thought I'd have to worry about ants.

Some people seem to indicate they seal their insulation with wood? Should I be worried?

COuld i spray something on my concrete piers to repel the ants?

I'm in new england by the way.

DaveBell
# Posted: 5 Aug 2023 19:20

TERRO ant bait. I use it, it works very well.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Aug 2023 19:38

Also Drione too.

travellerw
# Posted: 5 Aug 2023 20:38

I will second Terro... However, you can't skimp, buy a bunch and put them everywhere. It works.

p.s. if you are cheap, its basically boric acid with an attractant. There are recipes online, but I don't know how well they work. I just buy the Terro stuff because it works.

Steve_S
# Posted: 6 Aug 2023 05:09

Also vote on TERRO as the GoTo product that works.
If you have a Hand Sprayer (garden pump type) you can also dissolve powdered Borax (Mule Team) in hot water and then spray it around your cabin. Borax is neutral & enviro friendly and is one of the active ingredients in Terro & other big name ant killers.

https://todayshomeowner.com/pest-control/guides/how-to-kill-ants-with-borax/#:~:text= Mix%201%20cup%20of%20water,a%20paste%20when%20it%20cools.

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Aug 2023 07:43

I had a small sail boat that they completely ate the interior foam on. So yes they will eat it. There are sprays you can get at big box stores to spray around your house. I have used it on piles of lumber and it kills the whole colony. This was all big carpenter ants.

cabinnewbie
# Posted: 6 Aug 2023 08:54

Thanks for the info, seems like the consensus is use ant bait to kill the colony. Hopefully find outdoor suitable ones to also avoid them eating my exterior foam.

Sounds like enclosing the foam is less worthwhile.

One thing i can't find though is how frequent i'd have to do this? I plan to be away for months at a time and so hopefully could just lay a trap in the spring/summer and call it a day?

travellerw
# Posted: 6 Aug 2023 11:37

I put traps out in the early spring, then again in late summer.. Repeat each year. You won't have anymore ants.

DaveBell
# Posted: 6 Aug 2023 12:12 - Edited by: DaveBell

Quoting: cabinnewbie
how frequent i'd have to do this?

I captured one group in the family room and one group in the kitchen, been ant free for years now.
The Terro instructions say once a path of ants is seen, open each trap and place near the ant path. The ants smell the bait, crawl inside, eat the bait and die. So you can see them inside the clear trap. I put about four out, two on either side of the path. Boxes contain 4, 6, or 12 traps. Go to the Terro website and look at their products. They have granules and dust that you could put around your piers. I would put something over the the granules to prevent rain from washing it away. Like a plastic trash bag with a few rocks on top. So you have capture and repel solutions.

travellerw
# Posted: 6 Aug 2023 16:20

Quoting: DaveBell
So you can see them inside the clear trap. I put about four out, two on either side of the path.

Those are just the initial kills. But most eat it, take it back to the nest and then barf it up for the other ants and the queen. Wiping out the whole hill. Thats why the baits are so excellent.

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Aug 2023 18:14

Dont think there is anything you can sensibly 'enclose' the foam with that ants wont find a way into.

DaveBell
# Posted: 6 Aug 2023 20:43

Quoting: travellerw
But most eat it, take it back to the nest and then barf it up for the other ants and the queen. Wiping out the whole hill.

I read that but when I saw the dead ones, I didn't know if they could make it back.

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Aug 2023 20:59

Quoting: cabinnewbie
Hopefully find outdoor suitable ones to also avoid them eating my exterior foam

The spray I'm talking about is exterior. You spray around the exterior of the building in a line and keeps them away or kills them.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Aug 2023 15:22

Drione!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.