Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Toenailing Advice?
rmckenzie
# Posted: 27 Aug 2023 20:50

Hey y’all, I’ve gotten to the stage of installing my ceiling joists, but I’m at the end of my rope trying to toenail them into the top plate. I’ve tried two 16ds, four 8ds, dulling the nail, all sorts of different angles, and it still seems like most of the time the board ends up splitting on the end…

Is there something I’m missing? I’ve used way more 2x6s than I’d like to admit, and I’ve only got 5/13 of the joists put in. Or is it just the kind of thing where I shouldn’t be too worried? Normally I don’t think I’d be as critical about it but since I’m going to be using these to support my platform for building the roof, I’d like to know they’re not going to twist out from under me.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
3C6F8E8367A44F088.jpeg
3C6F8E8367A44F088.jpeg

DaveBell
# Posted: 27 Aug 2023 21:23

Simpson Strong Tie

Whiskerbiscuit
# Posted: 27 Aug 2023 21:29

I've found pre-drilling the hole (just through the top joist) helps sometimes. Also I like to cut a block of 2x4 scrap and put it inbetween each joist, that way when you're hammering you have something solid to push against so you're not whacking the rafter out of position.

travellerw
# Posted: 27 Aug 2023 21:57

Quoting: DaveBell
Simpson Strong Tie

Yup.. This!

rmckenzie
# Posted: 27 Aug 2023 23:29

For the Simpsons Strong Tie, like the 2.5A? Those will hold the joists well enough to put a platform on? And just one on there? I could see doing that then putting one on the other side to tie into the rafters once I add them on.

Thanks for the help!!

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Aug 2023 05:36

Are those floor joists or ceiling joists? Either way I have not used any hangers or pre drilled anything in this situation.

Judging by how gray the wood is I bet there prety sun dried boards. Some splitting isnt a big deal. But toe nailing can be tricky. Have you thought about screwing it from the bottom up?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Aug 2023 08:04

I used a framing nailer with 3 to 3 1/4" nails and then added the strong ties, code here requires the strong tires for high winds to keep from uplifting.

rmckenzie
# Posted: 28 Aug 2023 08:41

Quoting: Brettny
Have you thought about screwing it from the bottom up?

These are ceiling joists, and won’t be used for a loft or anything, just for a temporary support to build the roof and for holding the walls together. Everything is definitely very dry right now!

For screwing in from the bottom, do you mean at an angle or straight up through the double top plate? I had not thought about that.

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Aug 2023 10:02 - Edited by: Brettny

Quoting: rmckenzie
For screwing in from the bottom, do you mean at an angle or straight up through the double top plate? I had not thought about that

You can do either one depending on screw length. If there just temporary then screw them for sure.

On my recent build I found that 8in structual screws screwed in at an angle meet my code and replace a hurricane tie. There also cheaper and easier to put in. Some times brackets/hangers are the only way to go but in some cases there more expensive.

https://www.fastenmaster.com/blog/understanding-timberlok-screws-vs-hurricane-ties

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.