Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Add on to an existing small cabin
scottklink
# Posted: 29 Aug 2023 08:06

New user here.
We have a very small 12' x 12' cabin built 10 years ago by the previous owner. He set the cabin on steel I-beams then leveled it out (sort of) with what looks like steel or iron pads about 1" thick. We want to add a small 6' addition to it for bedroom space. My question is should I use concrete pads on gravel or actually put posts in to support the add on. My gut says pads to prevent opposing forces that would cause problems during frost heave. We're off grid in Northern Mn with no codes to worry about.

gcrank1
# Posted: 29 Aug 2023 10:03

We are in WI, every small building we've done, both self-built and pre-built, has been on a 'floating foundation'. I like to use concrete silo blocks as the ground pads. Its worked fine, min. re-leveling over time.
Our soil is sand and gravel, what you have may be diff.

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Aug 2023 20:34

Are you going to do a ledger board to the existing structural framing? I hope so. Then just use the same type of foundation. The idea is things float together or dont if there below frost line.

scottklink
# Posted: 29 Aug 2023 20:41

Yes, I will be using a ledger.
My concern with concrete footings is like you stated - it won't be able to float with the existing foundation of horizontal steel beams.
Thank you all for confirming my thoughts.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.